Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 2, 2019 at 11:49 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Well, it's a matter of how far I should take pragmatic assumptions.  Maybe someday, I'll be surrounded by nothing but robots, and my life won't make much sense unless I take them as actual existent, sentient beings.  That's kind of a creepy thought.
It wouldn't be much different than today, though, lol.  Wink

Quote:I assume humans feel and think, because I do.  And because human behaviors evoke emotional responses in me, and I have an irrational sense that they are "just real," without being able to prove any of it, I act as though they do.
That's not the only reason.  We act like we do, as do many other creatures.  It's pointless to omit this huge range of observations, of so many creatures.  This thread has found a bunch of ways to assert that we can't "prove consciousness"...but that's not actually true.  We can prove that we're conscious to exactly the same degree and by the same standards as we can prove any other assertion about the world.  The proposition that we don't or may not think or feel, between the two, is the absurd one.  

This is propped up by intuitively pleasing arguments that are, themselves, fundamentally flawed.  We posit, by way of asserting exactly what we wish to conclude, that there are robots "faking it", for example.  Acting like we do.  To a person who wishes to make this sort of point that seems like a dead ringer, but it's not.  We're silently assuming that what the robot is doing is different in kind, not just in type. 

What we do know of the subject, regardless of what we don't.......strongly suggests that this just isn't the case.  

If we wish to posit a robot that convincingly acts like us, what follows is not that we can;t prove consciousness, but that we must allow for at least some sort of rudimentary experience in their case. That they have an internal world. Maybe not an internal world exactly as ours is, but an internal world by any rational description nonetheless. We already posit this in the case of other creatures that act this or that way...and, to be blunt, it's highly unlikely that my internal experience is exactly like yours anyway. There's disparity between our prime subjects, even.

Quote:I have moments of philosophical crisis when I seriously doubt that anyone exists, myself included, in anything resembling the way in which they seem to.  But then I get bored of quivering under the covers with my blanket over my head and I go out and play existential dress-up until I forget that I had doubts at all, if just for a short while.  Rinse and repeat, tbh, with pretty heavy moments of either solipsistic confidence or a suicidal sense of cosmic alienation interspersed.  I'm deep like that.

Doubting that we exist in the way that we think we do is just good practice..but it's not exactly the same as doubting that we exist - and the same is true of thinking and feeling.  I mean hell, we already know that we don't think or feel the way that we thought we did.  There's more robot "faking it" than little man behind the eyes, up in here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by The Grand Nudger - January 3, 2019 at 11:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11049 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3009 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11352 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad