Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 17, 2019 at 12:34 am)bennyboy Wrote: Probabilities are okay so long as they are numerical.  "I think this physical system which talks probably has a mind like mine" isn't really talking about probability.  It's a stand-in for something like, "I have a strong sense that this physical system has a mind like mine."  In other words, strength of impression substitutes for chance.

That's a great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good. What about the application of Occam's Razor? Isn't that a useful means of assessing probabilities in general?

(January 17, 2019 at 3:33 am)Belaqua Wrote:
(January 16, 2019 at 11:29 pm)Thoreauvian Wrote: My problem with some philosophers (I should have emphasized) is that they take their skepticism too far.  The perfect is the enemy of the good, to paraphrase Voltaire I believe.  At a point, such thinking blurs the line between justified true belief and unjustified false belief.  We might be brains in vats.  A thermostat might have awareness.  Science can't study the mind, or whatever.  Nothing is good enough to go on.  Scientists would waste their grant money if they took the same approach.

But the examples you give aren't cases of skepticism.

No, but they are examples of how skepticism about face-value claims can lead to giving too much weight to what are really unwarranted beliefs.

While I appreciate your critiques of philosophical thought experiments as valid explanations within the philosophical community which understands the words games being played, the effects of such ideas on people at large are not healthy in far too many cases. In the context of arguing with Bennyboy over panpsychism and p-zombies, what I said makes sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Alan V - January 17, 2019 at 7:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11049 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 742 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3011 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11356 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9295 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad