Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied?
RE: Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied?
(February 12, 2019 at 11:17 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Well..yeah, sure.  We're very susceptible.  That's more a con than a pro.  A reason to take extra care, not a reason to believe or assume that there is some validity to the belief.  

The OP was about why people believe, not about the validity of those beliefs. Susceptibility is a pro and not a con, when it comes to the believing vs non-believing.

Quote:Sure.  Though it's unclear what fairy tale beliefs are fundamental to some other positively valued concept, or even how they would be so.  

It depends on what you mean by fairy tale beliefs. Beliefs in eternal values, life anchored in intrinsic purpose and meaning, in a love that can transform even the most dire of situations, a sense of something sacred, in a hope the can’t be taken away, are fundamental to who my mother is. Someone absent of such beliefs wouldn’t resemble my mother all that much.

Quote:Your image of secular humanism is thoroughly inaccurate.  That you arrive at inaccurate conclusions by starting with an inaccurate premise is hardly surprising..but it's a common habit of the religious...so...seems like another con.  

Who is an accurate reflection of a humanist? Would Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Neil Tyson, Carl Sagan in your view be good representatives of humanist?

Quote:Case in point. What value or fundamental belief of your mothers leads you to present yourself as you do on these boards, or to make the statements you post?

None really, my mother wouldn’t be the type to be on internet boards. Though I tend to bust people’s ball on here, and be harsh on some of them their cherished beliefs, I try and avoid making it personal. I don’t harbor any real dislike for anyone here, including you. I’m sure you’re a decent dude, who I could tolerate getting a beer with.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied? - by Acrobat - February 12, 2019 at 11:38 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity Is The BEST Religion.... Nimbus 201 18692 February 23, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Help needed for atheist/science films, CG especially skydivephil 3 975 December 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: c172
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2537 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9506 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1085 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11109 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5009 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20076 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why would any Woman want to be a part of Christianity? Spooky 33 8676 July 23, 2015 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Foxaèr 13 4330 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13