Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion's affect outside of religion
Religion's affect outside of religion
Many people know that religious people hardly question their religious beliefs, and their rationality is skewed when it comes to their faith.

I think fewer understand just how much it effects the rationality and logical thinking outside of the religion though, here's why a majority of believers cannot leave their faith out of their daily lives. Many people think that some people can leave their faith out of how they go about their daily life. Here is why i disagree:

We all know many people are taught religion as truth from a very young age so they develop a bias toward it. That's only one piece of the puzzle though. When you are taught religion as the truth from an early age, you also develop a distrust of science as well. Science says your wrong, you are probably more likely to believe you are right(unless you research it, which most people aren't interested in).

This distrust of science extends far beyond your religion. I mean, if you don't believe me, go watch an online conspiracy video, I can garuntee you the base of the argument starts with not trusting what scientists tell us is true. I was recently watching "Flat earth proof" videos(which were hilarious btw) and as I was thinking about it, it dawned on me that even though this has nothing to do with religion, it all came back to religion. 

This is why religion will almost certainly effect every believer even when they try to leave it out of their lives - [What I mean by this is the people who very casually say they "believe in god" with a very broad concept, who dont go to church or read scripture, who don't try to justify information with their religion]. These people will always come back to "well they are wrong about ___" and end up, even if mildly, not really accepting what scientists say outside of religon(basically anything) as fact, or having a harder time accepting things as fact.
RE: Religion's affect outside of religion
Oh yes, I agree. I can't believe that religion doesn't have negative effects on someone's belief system, at least to some degree. As Matt D often says, "Beliefs don't exist in a vacuum". For one thing, being prepared to accept magical, ludicrous ideas on basically no evidence paves the way for more irrational beliefs.

This effect on children has been studied, furthering the idea that indoctrination is comparable to psychological harm. Parents should be teaching their kids how to tell the difference between reality and fantasy, not encouraging them to blur the line.

Quote:In two studies, 66 kindergarten-age children were presented with three types of stories - realistic, religious and fantastical. The researchers then queried the children on whether they thought the main character in the story was real or fictional.

"Secular children were more likely than religious children to judge the protagonist in such fantastical stories to be fictional," wrote the researchers.

"The results suggest that exposure to religious ideas has a powerful impact on children's differentiation between reality and fiction, not just for religious stories but also for fantastical stories."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-28537149
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well its clearly responsible for the morale fibre of western society. I mean if we didn't have God how would we know right from wrong? We wouldn't. We'd just spend all day watching Two and a Half Men and raping animals.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I'm watching animals and raping two and a half men.

But same difference, yeah.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Kudos, Robvalue. You made me snort my coffee through my nose. Clap

(Edited... why doesn't this forum have the :lol: emoji?)
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(September 19, 2015 at 10:23 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Well its clearly responsible for the morale fibre of western society. I mean if we didn't have God how would we know right from wrong? We wouldn't. We'd just spend all day watching Two and a Half Men and raping animals.
Stop looking in my windows.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 19, 2015 at 10:33 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Kudos, Robvalue. You made me snort my coffee through my nose. Clap

(Edited... why doesn't this forum have the :lol: emoji?)

Thanks very much Big Grin I'll send you a cheque for loss of caffeine.

We have a ROFL one, which is coded by :roflol: giving ROFLOL

Index of my best videos
My very devout grandfather not only distrusted science,
but was openly scornful of higher education, in general.

He returned from WWII and the Canadian Armed Forces
offered to pay for his University education.

He declined.  He chose a menial job for the rest of his life.
Completely agree. It totally affects your judgment and morality. I listen to some of the theists on here, and what they think is moral and immoral are mind boggling, to say the least.

Why? Because of a book.. and their feelings. “I feel god, and talk to him, and he tells me the bible is true.”

No you don’t asshole..

Learn to put your god to the test once in awhile. I know the book says not to do that, but that's because if you do, your god will fail miserably. There are so many simple experiments that can be set up to test whether you're talking to god or not, but no, let's just have faith, and tell everyone else to have faith too.

Please tell me what the difference is using rational language.

[Image: god-spider-man.jpg]
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I know religious folks who are pretty adept at compartmentalization.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I approach the Jehovah Witnesses loitering outside of my office? ReptilianPeon 34 5015 January 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37