Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 8:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?
(August 11, 2019 at 1:27 pm)randomguy123 Wrote:  Why do you believe that God doesn't exist?
 How can you be sure that God's existence is not real, for certain?
 Humanity has still not uncovered a great deal about our own existence, or what's on the other side of the universe.
For your first question, the reason is that I have not seen any evidence justifying the existence of god. For one thing, there are so many gods that humans have worshiped over history, that there is no agreement on what this god is to go looking for it. And in the case of the Judeo Christian god, it is defined in such a way as to be unobservable.  In fact, there have been so many human invented gods that to take on the task of disproving each and everyone of them would be an impossible thing to humanly do. Which leads naturally to your second question.
Your second question conveniently shifts the burden of proof to the atheist. You almost certainly agree that any of thousands of other gods ever conceived of --other than the Judeo Christian one--had to have been human inventions. Since human have such a proclivity to invent gods, and since the concept of a god is itself a human invention, I will not accept the proposition that a god exists without some positive evidence for it. That is not the same thing as absolute proof of the non-existence of god, but the position I take is logically no different than refusing to accept the existence of Santa Clause or the Toothfairy as they are likewise inventions of the human imagination. So I do not put the level of certainty at 100%, but I do put it at very unlikely that any god exists. I would be open to changing my mind on the existence of god if presented with evidence, but I do not expect to see such evidence. Which leads naturally to your third question.
For much of human history, god was the explanation for the inexplicable, a "god of the gaps" as atheists are wont to call this idea. Since humanity has developed the scientific method of investigating the natural world, the gaps have only diminished. We have not to date required a god hypothesis to explain the natural world around us. In fact, phenomena attributed to god has continued to find alternate, scientific explanations. The god of the gaps is a diminishing entity and will only continue to diminish.  We may, at some point, discover evidence for this god. But so far any evidence for an existence of god has proven illusive.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by BryanS - August 11, 2019 at 11:21 pm
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Rahn127 - August 11, 2019 at 11:47 pm
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Aegon - August 12, 2019 at 11:19 am
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Aegon - August 12, 2019 at 11:34 am
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Aegon - August 12, 2019 at 12:09 pm
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Rahn127 - August 13, 2019 at 11:04 pm
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? - by Foxaèr - August 13, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1085 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 15543 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2032 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 29310 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5356 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 18152 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7123 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 39336 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1780 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 19042 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda