Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why God doesn't stop satan?
Why God doesn't stop satan?
It is said in the bible that satan "roams the earth and seeks who to devour". Meaning, they end up in hell. Why God doesn't stop this madness? What is he waiting for?
RE: Why God doesn't stop satan?
(June 8, 2021 at 12:04 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: It is said in the bible that satan "roams the earth and seeks who to devour". Meaning, they end up in hell. Why God doesn't stop this madness? What is he waiting for?

I think it was Bill Maher who said something like, " You cant have Superman without Lex Luthor".

But your quote certainly demonstrates the vanity, and cruelty of a supernatural being that has the power to stop harm to life, but chooses not to. 

I've often put it this way.

If say, a couple interviews a potential baby sitter. And the baby sitter describes their prior work as " I've baby sat 99 kids. 1 third I protected, and were never harmed. 1 third I allowed harm, but punished the perp after. The final third I simply let go and didn't do a thing."

How many people would hire such a being?
(June 8, 2021 at 12:24 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 8, 2021 at 12:04 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: It is said in the bible that satan "roams the earth and seeks who to devour". Meaning, they end up in hell. Why God doesn't stop this madness? What is he waiting for?

I think it was Bill Maher who said something like, " You cant have Superman without Lex Luthor".

But your quote certainly demonstrates the vanity, and cruelty of a supernatural being that has the power to stop harm to life, but chooses not to. 

If say, a couple interviews a potential baby sitter. And the baby sitter describes their prior work as " I've baby sat 99 kids. 1 third I protected, and were never harmed. 1 third I allowed harm, but punished the perp after. The final third I simply let go and didn't do a thing."

I think it would depend on how much they like their kid.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 8, 2021 at 12:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 8, 2021 at 12:24 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I think it was Bill Maher who said something like, " You cant have Superman without Lex Luthor".

I think it would depend on how much they like their kid.

Boru

Not the point. Most theists sell their god as "all loving" and "all powerful". If that is their argument, then nothing bad should ever happen.

Theists cannot grasp the reality that unfortunately bad happens. It isn't that good cant or doesn't happen. Good most certainly does happen. But they cant grasp that there is no divine power or ground villain involved. 

I've also put it like this.

I would not hire this God to manage a bicycle factory. The bikes would end up with squid for spokes and the workers would murder each other over the competing assembly manuals.
(June 8, 2021 at 1:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 8, 2021 at 12:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think it would depend on how much they like their kid.

Boru

Not the point. Most theists sell their god as "all loving" and "all powerful". If that is their argument, then nothing bad should ever happen.

Theists cannot grasp the reality that unfortunately bad happens. It isn't that good cant or doesn't happen. Good most certainly does happen. But they cant grasp that there is no divine power or ground villain involved. 

I would not hire this God to manage a bicycle factory. The bikes would end up with squid for spokes and the workers would murder each other over the competing assembly manuals.

It’s EXACTLY the point. Theists worship a God who manifestly doesn’t love everyone, and they’re perfectly ok with it. The god they believe in resembles nothing so much as an abusive parent who would cheerfully hire a babysitter who had a 33% chance of killing their kids.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 8, 2021 at 1:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 8, 2021 at 1:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not the point. Most theists sell their god as "all loving" and "all powerful". If that is their argument, then nothing bad should ever happen.

It’s EXACTLY the point. Theists worship a God who manifestly doesn’t love everyone, and they’re perfectly ok with it. The god they believe in resembles nothing so much as an abusive parent who would cheerfully hire a babysitter who had a 33% chance of killing their kids.

Boru

Boy are you nit picky.

Of course God doesn't love everyone, because it is a fantasy created by humans to justify tribalism.

Evolution produces social activity, not just in humans as you know. So of course say fire ants will defend each other, but kill other insects. Female lions are notorious for defending cubs. But male lions are also notorious for killing rival cubs. 

SO yea, I agree, God is the dick who would play the crap shoot, just so he can claim glory when those he neglected and abused looked for help.

The Christian God loves Christians, The Muslim God loves Muslims, The Jewish God loves Jews. At best, all of them claim they are willing to live in peace, but funny how all of them make that dependent on a social pecking order.

Here's an odd idea that I came up with in my last gasps of trying to believe in Christianity: Remember 1984, specifically O'Brien? He claims to be a resistance leader against the Oceania regime, but it turns out that he's actually working with the regime as a torturer, using the information he gathered from his erstwhile recruits to help break their minds? Once you imagine that God and Satan's relationship works the exact same way and get past the blatant sacrilege inherent in the premise, literally everything the Church tells you about Satan starts to make sense. Why the fuck would he defeat Satan? He's one of God's best torture technicians.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 8, 2021 at 1:21 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:

Here's an odd idea that I came up with in my last gasps of trying to believe in Christianity: Remember 1984, specifically O'Brien? He claims to be a resistance leader against the Oceania regime, but it turns out that he's actually working with the regime as a torturer, using the information he gathered from his erstwhile recruits to help break their minds? Once you imagine that God and Satan's relationship works the exact same way and get past the blatant sacrilege inherent in the premise, literally everything the Church tells you about Satan starts to make sense. Why the fuck would he defeat Satan? He's one of God's best torture technicians.

God vs Satan works the same way as WWE. Both are in on it.
In the OT, Satan is a servant of God. He is the tester, but he is not allowed free reign. He is part of God's plan for the fallen world.
Exclamation 
It doesn't fit the storyline.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5765 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5202 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4622 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1916 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6523 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17545 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7035 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1744 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18261 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2962 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda