Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
RE: Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
(June 10, 2020 at 7:23 am)polymath257 Wrote: And if you do Planck length accuracy that 10^38 turns into 10^70, so the volume turns into 10^210. The approximation I made at that point put the volume less than 10^1000.  The rest was taken into account in my calculation. Yes, that 1 proton difference was taken into account by my raising things to the power of the number of particles in the universe. Each different arrangement would be different and I picked out the one that it actually is.

The other properties, again, add a few to the exponent but won't get it up to a googol.

I'm not convinced that you're mathing it right.

A standard deck of playing cards has 52 cards once you remove the jokers, so there are 52! or ~ 8*1067 possible combinations, each of which is equally unlikely.

One mole of water is 18 grams, or just a bit more than a tablespoon at STP. A random arrangement of the molecules produces 6.022*1023! possibilities, which is a bit better than 10^1025. That isn't a googolplex but it's headed the right direction and we've gotten that far by just by arranging the molecules in a simple random array. It doesn't take into account any of the properties of the water molecules or their interactions and certainly doesn't account for iteration over time. Factoring in space at nanometer scale and time on a nanosecond scale seems to yield ~10^1055 possible arrangements per mole per second. Given that we still haven't factored in a lot of the properties of the molecules or any of their interactions it seems likely that we can beat googolplex odds with a pint of beer. If I haven't mathed it wrong, which is very likely.

The observable universe has roughly 1080 fundamental particles and the factorial of that is just shy of 10^1082. Still not a googolplex but much closer and that is just lining the particles up randomly with no accounting for spatial or temporal resolution, much less any of the more interesting attributes and interactions of some of those particles. Given that many permutations as a starting point and adding in spatial resolution at even the light year scale would appear to topple googolpex odds every moment of our existence.

Quote:I'm not sure why you think a complex irrational to the power of a complex irrational has to be large at all. For example, e^(i\pi) =-1, famously.

I wasn't trying to make it big, I was trying to make it horrible. In some very special rare cases it resolves to a sane number but typically you end up with horrid endless series of fractions. Like this little horror:

[Image: mc3bx59.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? - by Paleophyte - June 10, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 17816 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How is this possible? weaponoffreedom 77 6038 July 6, 2022 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible meteor storm tonight. Jehanne 17 1431 June 5, 2022 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1556 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2453 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Will Our Sun Expand and Go Nova or Shrink into a Black Hole? Rhondazvous 55 8215 January 19, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Possible 5th force of nature? Kosh 3 962 August 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron? Rhondazvous 14 2227 February 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Egg shaped planets do exist... ReptilianPeon 11 2368 July 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What does the universe expand into? JaceDeanLove 3 1501 November 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: JaceDeanLove