Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
RE: Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them.
(July 16, 2020 at 12:05 pm)Gnomey Wrote: Someone who's "perfect" for you now may not be perfect for future you. In the future, you may meet someone perfect for future you.

This is the most profound thing I've read on this thread. Bar none. Now you've actually got me pondering rather than merely analyzing (my default state). Thank you!

(July 16, 2020 at 12:05 pm)Gnomey Wrote: Just because your next person isn't perfect for you, doesn't mean you won't find meaning in a relationship with them. Or, if you choose to remain single, you'll find happiness and meaning in that.

This is very wise. I also agree with it and my worrying about Future Me goes against my views on personal identity.

I guess it's just the case that irrational sadness about the past and irrational sadness about the future will either pass eventually or it won't. I am a great believer in fate, not in any hocus-pocus 'The One' way, but in a determinist way. And shooting what I already believe in back at me, in your own words, helps me ponder and also helps me disabuse myself of discontentment. Thank you once again.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Messages In This Thread
RE: Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them. - by Porcupine - July 16, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If life is temporary, why is finding a date so HARD? snow_wolf22 126 8455 October 30, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Age Gap Relationships FrustratedFool 32 1909 September 21, 2023 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  How would you react to finding out you were making out with a transsexual? TaraJo 102 7043 March 28, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do satirists respond to criticism from the ones close to them? Der/die AtheistIn 3 541 March 13, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Getting space in relationships Der/die AtheistIn 17 948 September 16, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*