Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Age Gap Relationships
Age Gap Relationships
Some people have been disapproving of my age-gap relationship.  Some don't care.
Some give people like DeCaprio or Stephen Fry stick for having age gap relationships.  Other's don't.

So long as everyone is old enough to be able to give informed consent, and so long as there's no professional misuse of a power imbalance (teacher, therapist, doctor, etc), then I see people's revulsion at age gap relationships as ageism or some other bigotry.

Opinions?
RE: Age Gap Relationships
^It's one of those why-does-anyone-even-care topics.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I care because I face the issue directly in my life.

However, I appreciate your attitude on this topic. I'm amazed that enough people care to give me and my GF jip over it. Though I shouldn't be. I've recieved jip from many people over many of my private issues nad opinions. Some people are like that, I guess.
(September 20, 2023 at 4:49 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: I care because I face the issue directly in my life.

However, I appreciate your attitude on this topic.  I'm amazed that enough people care to give me and my GF jip over it.  Though I shouldn't be.  I've recieved jip from many people over many of my private issues nad opinions.  Some people are like that, I guess.

Well, naturally -if you're on the receiving end of the nonsense, of COURSE you'd care. 

It must nice to have one's life so in order that there's nothing more important to worry over than someone else's relationship. Sheesh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I doubt they have their lives in order. They just can't help themselves. I suspect they feel a deep repugnance and that they think they have social warrant to act out. It's the same when I've encountered similar reactions regarding other aspects of my personal life. Some people feel they have a right to be gauche bigots because they personally feel revulsion at something or other.
(September 20, 2023 at 4:40 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Some people have been disapproving of my age-gap relationship.  Some don't care.
Some give people like DeCaprio or Stephen Fry stick for having age gap relationships.  Other's don't.

So long as everyone is old enough to be able to give informed consent, and so long as there's no professional misuse of a power imbalance (teacher, therapist, doctor, etc), then I see people's revulsion at age gap relationships as ageism or some other bigotry.

Opinions?

When I was working in the New York art world, probably three-quarters of the men I worked with were gay. It was pretty common in that society to see age-gap relationships in which an older, established man would take up a kind of protégé. Or maybe a "protégé with benefits." I'm sure there were the requisite number of heartbreaks involved, but it was often a happy arrangement for both parties. 

Dan Savage (whatever happened to him?) used to talk about the "campground rule." Use it as you wish, but leave it better than you found it.
My wife is 9 years younger than me, not a huge gap, but it did raise some comments when we were younger, as we both slip into senility it matters less and less!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Yes, I guess as people get older it becomes comparatively less of an issue.
But what the issue was even to begin with beats me.
My wives average(d) 12 years younger than me. Maybe total coincidental, I dunno.
I don't always understand why two people are together (not only about age) and I do sometimes question motives. But when it comes down to it,...... it's none of my business, I don't need to understand, not my realtionship, not for me to judge.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At 33 years of age, I am being bullied and tired of it. AkiraTheViking 12 1216 June 7, 2023 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: deleted
  [Serious] Relationships: Finding your perfect match and then losing them. Porcupine 53 2573 July 18, 2020 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  University Of The Third Age fredd bear 8 673 March 20, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Getting space in relationships Der/die AtheistIn 17 838 September 16, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*