Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blexit Campaign - Black Exit from the US Democratic Party
RE: Blexit Campaign - Black Exit from the US Democratic Party
(August 5, 2020 at 6:39 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(August 5, 2020 at 1:34 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I agree that the idea of black victimhood is not going to help black people.  I absolutely hate the concept of "white privilege", as if being white is the reason I got ahead in the world, and not the fact that I got an education and worked hard.  That teaches black people that the reason they haven't succeeded yet is only because of their skin color, which will never inspire them to do what I did.

That's not what any reasonable person is saying, though. You've misunderstood the whole thing about privilege.

Privilege doesn't mean that any success you've achieved cannot partly be attributed to the fact that you've worked hard to get where you're at. It means that there are certain hurdles (like skin color or sex) that won't ever get in your way to success. If you're black, you have to deal with those hurdles and work harder to achieve success (statistically speaking). If you're white, lucky!

It also doesn't mean that if you lack some type of privilege, then if you haven't succeeded, it must only be because you lacked that privilege.

The word "privilege" implies an undeserved advantage.  Its not like someone gives me stuff because I'm white.  My parents didn't give me a trust fund, buy my entrance to college, or introduce me to their rich friends who game a leg up.  I lived in a small bungalow in a small town, with only one parent working.  I worked every summer to pay tuition.

I prefer to focus on individual justice.  Make schooling affordable for all.  Make healthcare available to all.  Allow each person the ability, regardless of background, to have the opportunity to achieve things through good choices and hard work.

I accept that some people are disadvantaged, and have not experienced the justice I mention in the above paragraph.  But, that isn't just about race.  I just won't accept that I am "privileged" because of my skin color, either as a political attempt to create guilt, or an excuse as to why someone else hasn't made it.

Now, I am privileged to live in an industrially advanced country, where democracy, the rule of law, and relative freedom exist.  I definitely benefit by that through no act of my own.  If some others don't, then shame on the system, but don't make it all about race (BTW I don't live in the U.S., and I don't care what race anyone is. What generation of immigrant has a far larger effect than race, at least here)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blexit Campaign - Black Exit from the US Democratic Party - by HappySkeptic - August 6, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 765 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4826 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Black Serial Killers Foxaèr 10 994 November 29, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  Guess which party onlinebiker 20 1730 August 17, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  100th Aniversery of the Black Wall Street Masacre. Brian37 8 640 May 28, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1708 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 453 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Armed Black Protesters March Through Confederate Park The Architect Of Fate 26 1755 July 16, 2020 at 11:46 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 7533 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  BREAKING: China's communist party wants to change the internet protocols WinterHold 32 2334 April 2, 2020 at 8:33 am
Last Post: Mr Greene