Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'

A Louisiana cemetery has apologised after refusing to bury a local black police officer because of a decades-old provision allowing only white people.
The Oaklin Springs Cemetery board met on Thursday to change its sales contract after an outcry over the "white human beings" rule.
Officer Darrell Semien's widow called it a "slap in the face" to be denied a plot "because he's black".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55860238

How the hell can this still be a thing in 2021??    Mad
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'
(January 29, 2021 at 1:38 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'

A Louisiana cemetery has apologised after refusing to bury a local black police officer because of a decades-old provision allowing only white people.
The Oaklin Springs Cemetery board met on Thursday to change its sales contract after an outcry over the "white human beings" rule.
Officer Darrell Semien's widow called it a "slap in the face" to be denied a plot "because he's black".

What’s the problem? I mean, they said they were sorry, so that makes everything alright, doesn’t it?

Doesn’t it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'
(January 29, 2021 at 1:38 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black'

My guess is that it's an old regulation that has never been challenged.  It's probably well known in that area to be a "white" cemetary.

Welcome to the American South.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]Z-T-F:
How the hell can this still be a thing in 2021??

Agreed, black "people" should have learned long ago to stop being black.
In rural Acadiana, it would be hard to find a true "white human being," in terms of the one drop rule.  

Yes, welcome to the Dirty South.
I have never even met a white person, most people around here are various shades of pink!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 29, 2021 at 2:35 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have never even met a white person, most people around here are various shades of pink!

Sir, I am beige.

Only pink if I get too much sun...then it's more of a red.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

No shit. The GOP is proof that time travel is real.
I'm a red merle on white, for those familiar with herding breeds.
Well, as long as they're sorry.

That makes all the fucking difference!
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4534 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson? Dundee 21 1602 July 17, 2022 at 5:07 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 719 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 3971 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Black Serial Killers Foxaèr 10 959 November 29, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  100th Aniversery of the Black Wall Street Masacre. Brian37 8 547 May 28, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1648 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 1108 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 426 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  BREAKING:Clashes erupt after Trump loyalists march against election results WinterHold 28 2093 December 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Aegon