Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them
RE: Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them
At work.

(April 24, 2022 at 1:56 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 24, 2022 at 1:33 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Not my country, not my space/area.

My thoughts/reactions to previous comments are kind of clouded by my Granfather's experiance/treatment (Probably not the right words) in WW II.

He was of the right stuff to be 'Professional Army' here in  Aus in the late 1930's.

This had him training up recruits as out guys were moved to help Queen and country in North Africa.

Needless to say.  The kick off in the Pacific seems to have been a rather 'Brown pants' day for folks here at the time.

The short end of the tale hence is my Grandfather ending up in New Guinea with fek all much of anything (Effectivly but I paraphrase) being asked to do the heroic impossible.

To read people arguing about the 'Price' of something that would seem fundamental to a Soldier's life?

Harkens back to Astronaut John Glenn's comment of "As I hurtled through space... my thought was 'Every part of this vehicle was procured by the lowest bidder'."

I get/understand there's a 'Price' to/for everything but.... I mean really? Are we back to thinking maybe the Sten is how to equip with a weapon? "Good, cheap, simple. You can only pick two."

I hyperbole, I'm sorry in my ramblings. It's not maybe the best of times for me atm.

Cheers.
war is about achieving objectives with limited resources, resources in men and in material.   A man may like to think he is all important abs deserve to be valued accordingly,    But to treat him that way is to forget why he is fighting in the first place.

Having never served I can but vicariously relate to the conversation through my interactions and conversions I've had with folks over the years who have and my arm chair perspective of history.

Every conflict to date has been unique. Every conflict's end results have been different.

Hence my focus on the perspective from the individual's point of view. Which is about the level a rifle seems to be.

I would also hazzard a guess that a force which sees its basic units simply as such might have bigger doctrinal issues to resolve. Such ideas seem to be a thing of certain past conflicts. The lessons of which were learned at a harrowing price.

I agree/note Onlinebiker's clarification about pricing and 'Procuring in bulk' etc.

Cheers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them - by Peebo-Thuhlu - April 24, 2022 at 2:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1732 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  US troops and Afghans killed in suicide attacks outside Kabul airport WinterHold 3 604 August 26, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Troops to leave Afghanistan by 9/11/21 Brian37 10 1924 April 16, 2021 at 12:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  What should we do about "them"? Angrboda 30 1518 January 30, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  M Flynn suggest military in swing states.... Brian37 52 2042 December 21, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Take them to Detroit,,,,,, Or prison... Brian37 70 3647 October 15, 2020 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan WinterHold 50 3835 March 8, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Saudi Arabia prohibits shorts for men and put a fine on wearing them ! WinterHold 34 4294 June 18, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  So the way to honor our military is to do what? Brian37 9 1148 November 19, 2018 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oh yeah he loves the Troops Amarok 6 1019 November 10, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist