Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan
US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan
The U.S signed a peace deal with Taliban:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/f...nistan-war

Quote:US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan
  • US troops could leave Afghanistan within 14 months
  • Taliban agree to peace talks with other Afghans

So the American war against the Muslims of Afghanistan started since 2001, almost 20 years of constant fighting did not break the will of the people there; I have a question: if this war was just from the American side; then how did warriors with flip-flops and mere AKs stand still until a deal is signed from the American side to withdraw?

Isn't that a defeat on all scales?

I'll leave you dear user to think about it.
RE: US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan
It might have something to do with the Taliban having much shorter supply lines, fighting on their own turf, being supported by Russia, and having things like grenade launchers, armoured fighting vehicles, anti-aircraft guns...those sorts of things.

Historically, Afghanistan has always been hard on invaders.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The original stated goal of invading Afghanistan was to 'get' Osama bin Laden (who didn't get shot until the next administration and by then he was in Pakistan); ousting the Taliban was an ad hoc justification. The reasoning behind staying was that it would be a hotbed for international terrorism otherwise. Without US air support; Afghan government forces can't prevail in the provinces. The Taliban will probably conquer most of the country except Kabul. The Taliban has no designs on the USA, but strong ties to Al-Qaeda. US presidents have been reluctant to withdraw from Afghanistan because there's a fair chance a terrorist attack on the USA will be launched from or through that country. Cost/benefit is that we should leave; but the political risk to a president who makes that decision is huge if such a terrorist attack should materialize. I would say the primary thing that has kept the USA in Afghanistan is the political calculations of American presidents.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
A peace treaty and troop withdrawal work out so well for South Vietnam.

Bloodbath incoming...
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 29, 2020 at 5:59 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: A peace treaty and troop withdrawal work out so well for South Vietnam.

Bloodbath incoming...

Yeah, I was thinking that. Trump’s withdrawal from Syria worked out SO well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 29, 2020 at 4:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It might have something to do with the Taliban having much shorter supply lines, fighting on their own turf, being supported by Russia, and having things like grenade launchers, armoured fighting vehicles, anti-aircraft guns...those sorts of things.

Boru

In Vietnam a Huey pilot RTB to find arrows stuck in the bottom of his chopper.

He laughed and said to his crew chief -"How the fuck do the gooks think they can win a war with bows and arrows"?.

The crew chief replied "How can you defeat a man who is so determined as to attack against all odds?"
(February 29, 2020 at 6:58 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(February 29, 2020 at 4:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It might have something to do with the Taliban having much shorter supply lines, fighting on their own turf, being supported by Russia, and having things like grenade launchers, armoured fighting vehicles, anti-aircraft guns...those sorts of things.

Boru

In Vietnam a Huey pilot RTB to find arrows stuck in the bottom of his chopper.

He laughed and said to his crew chief -"How the fuck do the gooks think they can win a war with bows and arrows"?.

The crew chief replied "How can you defeat a man who is so determined as to attack against all odds?"

During the Soviet occupation, there were report of Mujahideen disabling tank columns from horseback.

Never underestimate the tenacity of the locals when it comes to getting you the fuck out of their country.

Boru

Boru

The Taliban had nothing but their faith confronting the U.S; especially the "U.S".
The U.S means accurate airstrikes, satellites, active GPS and billions of Saudi cash by their side, aside from the help of their allies like Pakistanis who helped killing Osama bin Laden.

Back then, the Taliban was a joke in American media. I'll just say how ironic.

(February 29, 2020 at 4:58 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The original stated goal of invading Afghanistan was to 'get' Osama bin Laden (who didn't get shot until the next administration and by then he was in Pakistan); ousting the Taliban was an ad hoc justification. The reasoning behind staying was that it would be a hotbed for international terrorism otherwise. Without US air support; Afghan government forces can't prevail in the provinces. The Taliban will probably conquer most of the country except Kabul. The Taliban has no designs on the USA, but strong ties to Al-Qaeda. US presidents have been reluctant to withdraw from Afghanistan because there's a fair chance a terrorist attack on the USA will be launched from or through that country. Cost/benefit is that we should leave; but the political risk to a president who makes that decision is huge if such a terrorist attack should materialize. I would say the primary thing that has kept the USA in Afghanistan is the political calculations of American presidents.

First it was the "Soviet threat", then it was "The Taliban threat", then it was "Terrorism", but the real logical cause for the U.S staying in Afghanistan is the same cause making it stay anywhere abroad its borders: wealth and natural resources.

Afghanistan is full of minerals that the U.S needs. That what kept it there, and made withdrawing a very tough choice to make.
(February 29, 2020 at 7:24 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote:

Boru

The Taliban had nothing but their faith confronting the U.S; especially the "U.S".
The U.S means accurate airstrikes, satellites, active GPS and billions of Saudi cash by their side, aside from the help of their allies like Pakistanis who helped killing Osama bin Laden.

(February 29, 2020 at 4:58 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The original stated goal of invading Afghanistan was to 'get' Osama bin Laden (who didn't get shot until the next administration and by then he was in Pakistan); ousting the Taliban was an ad hoc justification. The reasoning behind staying was that it would be a hotbed for international terrorism otherwise. Without US air support; Afghan government forces can't prevail in the provinces. The Taliban will probably conquer most of the country except Kabul. The Taliban has no designs on the USA, but strong ties to Al-Qaeda. US presidents have been reluctant to withdraw from Afghanistan because there's a fair chance a terrorist attack on the USA will be launched from or through that country. Cost/benefit is that we should leave; but the political risk to a president who makes that decision is huge if such a terrorist attack should materialize. I would say the primary thing that has kept the USA in Afghanistan is the political calculations of American presidents.

First it was the "Soviet threat", then it was "The Taliban threat", then it was "Terrorism", but the real logical cause for the U.S staying in Afghanistan is the same cause making it stay anywhere abroad its borders: wealth and natural resources.

Afghanistan is full of minerals that the U.S needs. That what kept it there, and made withdrawing a very tough choice to make.

Double post.

Boru
(February 29, 2020 at 7:24 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote:

Boru

Well, they had nothing but their faith, unless you count the RPG, tanks and anti-aircraft weapons I mentioned earlier.

Are you seriously contending that the Taliban are the good guys? The Taliban went a long way towards destroying Afghanistan before the US ever set foot there.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indian-American Nikki Haley: Plan to Counter the China Threat. Nishant Xavier 46 2674 August 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 529 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them onlinebiker 35 1945 April 25, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Taliban warns US not to 'destabilise' new Afghan regime in face-to-face talks WinterHold 24 1644 October 12, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1582 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  US troops and Afghans killed in suicide attacks outside Kabul airport WinterHold 3 574 August 26, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  One of the Co-founders of Taliban,Likely to be Afghanistan New President WinterHold 134 13121 August 24, 2021 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 376 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Troops to leave Afghanistan by 9/11/21 Brian37 10 1906 April 16, 2021 at 12:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  The barberity of Australian soldiers in Afghanistan catched on camera WinterHold 58 3244 December 8, 2020 at 4:39 am
Last Post: no one