Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belief without Verification or Certainty
RE: Belief without Verification or Certainty
I think there's enough room in there to leverage at least one preexisting fact. That they can't shoot us all. Your faith, as it were, in the plan..being a fairly simple issue of counting heads.

In the end, that sort of inbuilt futility is exactly how we handled train robberies. By making it as inconvenient as possible, for the smallest payout we could work. They weren't going to get through all of it, and if or when they did..was it worth it? It was handled by the numbers.

I think you'd find alot of preliminary faith before established fact in extension work, particular in alt ag (though they'd scream bloody murder if they heard me saying as much - bad for funding, bad for perception). Alot of people trying to be the first point of data. The demonstration site. The numbers tell them that they're wrong from the floor up and should do (whatever it is) the conventional way. They often have little to no experience with anything else - and they bet big. Most of them fail and most of thdecisions in what methodology to use are often aligned with a vision of their own future life. That second thing being more important, in many cases, than whether the numbers balance out.

I tell people all the time. If I couldn't do this for a living, I'd pay somebody to let me do it. It's a huge trustbuilder.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Belief without Verification or Certainty - by The Grand Nudger - May 7, 2022 at 5:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1964 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1018 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2665 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Honesty and certainty. Mystic 23 3113 March 31, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Mystic
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 638 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4778 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 12650 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12544 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7750 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7498 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus