Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 10:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: So basically, Lucid, you are arguing that since arguments fall short for proving or disproving a god, you say that it is fine to be a theist in this situation, but atheists have to go even further to argue their postion.

I'm saying that even if atheists dismantled every argument a theist could argue, they still wouldn't be any closer to the proposition that "God does not exist". To do that, they would need to have positive arguments for their position.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: That atheism is not a simple disbelief, but an active belief that a god doesnt exist.

Correct.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: So, in a sense, you are arguing that belief in a god is the default position? And those who disagree have to prove beyond a doubt that a god does not exist.

I think the default position is probably "I don't know".

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: ..and since it is impossible to confirm with 100% accuracy that a god exists or not, the atheist is doomed to fail because he cannot support his belief that a god doesnt exist.

You don't have to prove something 100 percent, you only have to present a better explanation, or prove it is logically contradictory. A scientific theory doesn't prove anything, it is just what matches the fact as best we can discern.

---------------------------------------------------

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Yet, at the same time, the mention of Asatru and Thor immediately invoked a mention of "Flying spaghetti monster" from Lucid.

Apparently, according to Lucid, only HIS god is the default god, and other gods are obviously not real. Or since they are no longer popular gods (with the mention of Thor), then they are not even to be considered.

Therefore, the only God that matters is the one Lucid believes in. If, say, someone steps up and starts arguing the existence of Diana, then Lucid is well in his rights to brush that deity off as obviously not important, as Diana is not winning the popularity contest with modern earth.

Logically, if all of the Gods make contradictory claims, either one of them is true or none of them are. So, if there is a God obviously only one of the religions is true. So it is not absurd for me to think that my God is the true God.

I also think it is logical to assume that whichever God is true is going to be a God that is still relevant today. In fact, you would assume that whomever God is, He would wield the most influence. Christianity is the worlds largest religion. It is the worlds most influential religion, throughout history and today, and Jesus is the most influential being to ever live.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: ..but, at the same time, if Lucids arguments for his deity fall short, and in fact that ALL posible arguments for his god falls short, that in no way merits that his god may not exist, since it is impossible to prove or disprove that Lucids god exists or not.

As I said earlier, you could have a better argument, or prove it is logically contradictory.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: So, arguments for Thor is not necessary and should pretty much be ignored. If they are wrong then Thor doesnt exist. If they are correct, then...possibly Satan is involved. You obviously can prove that Thor doesnt exist by saying that he is Satan, or that Thor believers are stealing arguments for Lucid's god.

I think Thor and the rest can be ignored for other reasons. For instance, in investigating the cause of the Universe, you can rule out any Gods that made no creation claims.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Arguments from atheists can not win, because you cannot prove that Lucids god does not exist. Athiets arguments are doomed to fail.

I have never heard any atheists even try to argue their position. The three debate tools of the atheist are scoffing, incredulity, and ridicule.

(December 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Lucids god is the default position (out of the thousands of sects in Christianity). If his arguments fail, that does not mean that his god does not exist. Lucid's god is mysterious, and is therefore difficult to prove or disprove. Lucid's god has a punishment set up for non-believers, so it is your best bet to believe and be wrong, as opposed to disbelieve and his god punish you if he does exist.

None of that follows from anything I have said. When I was agnostic, I explored many different belief systems, and at one point rejected all of them. All I really desired was the truth, and had no preference towards any particular belief. If anything, I was prejudiced against Christianity. The only reason I arrived there is because God led me to it.

In other words "HELL" is the biggest factor that Lucid's god is the default, as atheists take a very noticable risk of burning in Hell if they are wrong.

Am I correct Lucid?

The biggest factor is love. None of this has anything to do with evidence. It is a heart matter between you and God. No one is going to go to hell because they thought God was too implausible. The people who go to hell are unrepentant sinners who reject God and love wickedness over the truth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by lucent - December 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27833 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6182 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 9036 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 16155 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12725 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12275 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14643 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1192 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10602 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5191 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold