Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of "atheism"
Definition of "atheism"
There seems to be quite a lot of time wasted on the question of the meaning of the term "atheism."  I think I can explain why people talk past each other on this.  Quite simply, there is more than one standard meaning of the English term "atheism."

Take a look at:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t

There you will see (unless, of course, they change it between when I quote it and when you look at it):

atheism
noun
1.  the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2.  disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Notice, the two common and proper definitions are not the same.  They are, as is common with words, related in their meaning, but they are not the same.

People commonly insist that the word "atheism" means one of these, but the simple fact is, in English, either meaning is right and proper.  Notice, one of these is a lack of belief, and the other is a belief.

So, when someone uses the term with one of these meanings, and you want to use the other, the best thing to do is to explain which of the standard meanings you intend.  It is of no use to tell people that they are wrong to use a term in accordance with a standard meaning of the term; being a standard meaning, they are right to use it in accordance with that meaning, but one is wrong to insist it must mean only one of the standard meanings of the term.

The same idea applies to other words.  Most words have more than one meaning in a dictionary, and it is ridiculous to believe that everyone else uses one and only one of the meanings contained therein.  If there were only one right meaning of the term, there would only be one definition in standard dictionaries.

Sometimes, with the word "atheism," both senses are given as if they were one definition in a dictionary.  As in this case:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheism

a·the·ism

(ā′thē-ĭz′əm)
n.
Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

Notice, in this case, two different ideas are presented as if they were one definition, and not two separate and distinct ideas.  Still, if you pay attention, "disbelief" and "denial" are not the same thing.  One is not believing something, and the other is believing that something is false.  One is a lack of belief, and the other is a belief.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Definition of "atheism"
Could any form of theism ever be stated as a lack of belief? For example, if your idea of God was an abstract being who exists necessarily and only moves at will in the sense of complete freedom, and as opposed to being necessitated by antecedents, could you ever frame your position as something such as a lack of belief in material causation for the Universe, or as a lack of belief in eternal physical bodies, (taking the universe to be a body), or infinite motion, or something of that sort? Or does theism necessarily, even in the vaguest sense, entail certain doctrines that atheism does not?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(April 4, 2015 at 12:57 am)Nestor Wrote: Could any form of theism ever be stated as a lack of belief? For example, if your idea of God was an abstract being who exists necessarily and only moves at will in the sense of complete freedom, and as opposed to being necessitated by antecedents, could you ever frame your position as something such as a lack of belief in material causation for the Universe, or as a lack of belief in eternal physical bodies, (taking the universe to be a body), or infinite motion, or something of that sort? Or does theism necessarily, even in the vaguest sense, entail certain doctrines that atheism does not?

Theism, noun

the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).
belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism ).

So...yes?  I guess?  I dunno, your post was a bit convoluted...
(April 4, 2015 at 12:41 am)Pyrrho Wrote: atheism
noun
1.  the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2.  disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

You know, I have no objection to either definition since the first is speaking specifically of the christer gawd (capital g) and the second is speaking of generic gods. I absolutely believe the christer gawd does not exist. I am agnostic about general, vague, deist gods. The christer gawd is self refuting while the deist god is simply irrelevant.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Yes, let's talk about definitions and go down the rabbit hole!
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...sh/atheist
A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...disbelieve
Be unable to believe (someone or something):

[NO OBJECT] Have no faith in God, spiritual beings, or a religious system:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...h#faith__4

Complete trust or confidence in someone or something:

Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

A system of religious belief:

A strongly held belief or theory:

So I guess this all boils down to not having a strong confidence in the statement, "At least one god exists."
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
It is annoying. While there are contradictory definitions present in dictionaries and in a significant number of people's minds, all we can do is agree at the start of the discussion with them what terms mean.

If they want atheism to mean "belief there is no God" then I say fine, I'm not an atheist. And we establish what I am, whether or not they have a word for it. They don't get to tell me what I am, using their definitions, then strawman me. Well they can, but they'll be talking to Mr. Chainsaw pretty quickly.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The Christian definition of atheism seems to include:

1: Believes in evolution religiously (coz the only alternative is obviously Yahweh)
2: Hates god.
3: Loves satan.
4: just wants to sin.
5: Has a closed mind, not willing to accept that bronze age goat farmers knew more about the universe than all those people with scientific equipment and PHds
6: Has replaced religion with "scientism" the belief that science can answer all questions about things by using "evidence" and "facts".
7: Had some sort of experience that separated them from god.
8: Say atheists miss the point that there are a lot of false gods but obviously theirs is the correct one coz it says so in the bible
9: Scientific knowledge breaks down at the beginning of the universe therefore god, atheists just can't accept that.
10: we don't have fossils of the first life form therefore god, atheists just can't accept that

Did I miss anything?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism#!what-at...s-not/ceob

Here's some more Smile You hit many of them already.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 4, 2015 at 4:14 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: The Christian definition of atheism seems to include:

1: Believes in evolution religiously (coz the only alternative is obviously Yahweh)
5: Has a closed mind, not willing to accept that bronze age goat farmers knew more about the universe than all those people with scientific equipment and PHds
6: Has replaced religion with "scientism" the belief that science can answer all questions about things by using "evidence" and "facts".
8: Say atheists miss the point that there are a lot of false gods but obviously theirs is the correct one coz it says so in the bible
9: Scientific knowledge breaks down at the beginning of the universe therefore god, atheists just can't accept that.
10: we don't have fossils of the first life form therefore god, atheists just can't accept that

Did I miss anything?
You forgot mad dog moral relativists, and communists. Wink
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(April 4, 2015 at 4:14 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: The Christian definition of atheism seems to include:

Did I miss anything?

N-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-led i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27100 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5896 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 15883 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12466 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14295 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5112 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy theresidentskeptic 272 137720 December 10, 2013 at 12:02 am
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Definition of faith Dunno 2 1585 October 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4