Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of Atheism
Definition of Atheism
I got a little bored with my last input on this topic because the post sizes were getting massive, but I figured I give it another go (Rasetsu has said I'm a stubborn person before; true). I'll just lay out what are the issues here. And if I could perhaps be a bit impertinent, could you limit your quotes of me to the section titles you're referring to (unless you're only quoting a small part)? I usually get on the site from my phone, so responding to long posts is really time consuming and annoying. I'm clearly being hypocritical (this post can't help but be long), but here I go:

Definitions:

So, this topic is a minefield. I was rather surprised that this even gets emotional at times. My main gripe is that atheists who define atheism as just being a "lack of belief in the existence of gods" suffer many problems as a result of that, linguistically, culturally and conceptually.

Linguistic Problems:

Okay, so right off the bat atheists are up against the usual usage of the word and a few other words. If you really don't think the average English speaker doesn't think "atheism" is what they use to refer to people who claim God doesn't exist, I suggest you talk to more people. And you all should know this already. I mean how many times have you had to explain to theists that when you say "atheist", you just mean those who lack belief? If that wasn't what people usually mean by the word, you wouldn't have to explain that to theists, just like you don't have to explain to them what theists are. And in fact, the usual definitions of atheism and theism are what those in academic philosophy, where people are being the most precise with their definitions, use them to mean.

Now, these are generally what people mean by these words:

Quote:-Theist: One who believes God/gods exists, to some degree

-Agnostic: One who views the question of the existence of gods either unknown or unknowable

-Atheist: One who believes gods don't exist, to some degree

-Belief: To accept a proposition as true

-Disbelieve: To affirm a proposition as false

There are good reasons we regard these words as meaning those things (or rather, we use those words to convey those concepts), as opposed to this lack of theism definition. Firstly, think about comparable situations. When someone asks you if you believe Santa Claus exists, it is absurdly obvious their question is exactly equivalent to saying "Do you think Santa exists or do you think he does not exist?" They are not asking you if you lack belief in Santa. All sorts of people lack belief in Santa. In fact, you MAY in fact lack belief in Santa, but that's not what they're asking you. To answer "I lack belief in Santa" is just to avoid what they're saying. This seems patently obvious.

Now, just because a question was asked doesn't mean you can answer in the terms specified. After all, I cannot answer the question "Do Extra Terrestrials exist?" reasonably for or against the proposition. The question doesn't seem answerable currently, if ever in the foreseeable future. I am agnostic in regards to that question. Now, let's say an "a-ET-ist" tells me that I can't be an agnostic on this because an "a-ET-ist" is defined by him as those who don't answer "Yes" to that question, i.e they lack belief in "ET-ism". Well sure, if this person is going to define things such that there are only two positions (true and lacking truth), then I'm an "a-ET-ist". But that's just dishonest.
Some of you were complaining that I was "Telling you what you are/what position you hold". Okay firstly, you're full of shit on that. You're doing the EXACT same thing to strict agnostics, saying that they are actually atheists because they lack belief, so don't give me that.
Secondly, you're trying to exploit an ambiguity in language. When we say we disbelieve or don't believe something, we usually mean that something is false, a la disbelief in Santa Claus. Some of you (Mister Agenda comes to mind) are trying to treat "Disbelief" as if it were always equivalent to saying "Merely not affirming X to be true", and thus atheism is just a lack of theism. Okay, let's assume that is the case: So what? You're missing the point. Even if you say that atheism is just a lack of belief, then theists are going to ignore those who only lack belief and focus on those who are being coherent enough to answer their question. If you just lack belief, fine. They're going to simply change the question to match your terminology: "Why are you a strong atheist?" If you're not a strong atheist (under your own definition of it), then why bother answering the question? This is the point. Words are just a means of conveying concepts to other people. Being sneaky with the definitions is pointless when you miss the point they're trying to convey. Worse, even if you just lack belief you have to have REASONS why, after hearing of god concepts, to continue lacking belief. And those reasons are going to be reasons to believe it is either false or unprovable, which just moves you back to the standard definitions.

Nuanced Atheisms:

Now, some think that atheism has to be a mere lack of belief because there is nuance in atheists' thinking. But this is contradictory. By your own definition, there cannot be any nuance. Under your definition, you're either a theism or an atheist, because you either have belief or lack it and that's all those are. But it makes no sense to append modifiers to atheism under that view. Watch, using your definitions:

Quote:1) Atheism: Lack of belief in the existence of gods

2) Strong atheist: One who believes no gods exist

3) Gnostic atheist: One who claims to know no gods exist (not sure this synonymous with strong atheism)

4) Agnostic atheist: One who neither believes nor knows God doesn't exist?

5) Anti-theist: You guys seem to treat this as synonymous with strong atheism, even though it's generally synonymous with being anti-religious.

Now wait a second. If atheism is just a lack of belief, how can you append words to it to alter it? You can't strongly lack belief, but you can believe it to be false. In other words, on your guys' view, it makes no sense to have atheism be the modular term, because it permits NO degrees of difference that are actually RELEVANT to the word "atheist", by your own arguments for it. An agnostic/gnostic atheism are redundant for the former and nonsensical for the latter. If you don't believe something (or you lack belief, I should say), by definition you do not know it because knowledge is a type of belief. And if you claim to know something, you cannot apply that to a mere "lack of belief". What sense does it make, on y'alls definition, to say call oneself any nuanced version of atheism, when your own definition of it excludes that possibility? It would be like defining all non-positive numbers as negative numbers, and then assigning the number 0 a special modifier, when in fact it is neither positive or negative.

You guys also seem to be confusing the belief that no gods exists with the claim that one knows that no gods exist, which are two different things. I might believe it is the case that there is an even number of existing objects, but that doesn't mean I claim to know that is true.

Now, under my view these terms actually have usefulness and coherence:

Quote:Atheism: The belief, to some degree, that no gods exist

Weak Atheist: The belief that gods probably don't exist

Strong atheism: The belief that no gods exist. One could even claim that one knows this, given sufficient justification, I think.

Agnostic atheist: I think this would have to be more or less synonymous with weak atheism if it is to be coherent.

Agnostic: The belief that the proposition of deities existing is an epistemic boundary, either in principle or for the time being.

Under this view, it actually makes sense to modify atheism with other words, because I haven't ridiculously set up atheism as a thing you have if you aren't a theist.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. Let the witch hunt begin. Angel
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
RE: Definition of Atheism
It doesn't matter how many times you make topics about it. I'm not going to stop using lack of belief in deities just to please you.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Dude, you can use whatever definition of a word that you want to. That doesn't make your definition reasonable or coherent. Oh, and this is the first topic I personally have made about it. Wink
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(July 4, 2014 at 4:17 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Dude, you can use whatever definition of a word that you want to. That doesn't make your definition reasonable or coherent.

If people get confused they can always consult a dictionary.

(July 4, 2014 at 4:17 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Oh, and this is the first topic I personally have made about it. Wink

Sorry - I thought you'd started the first topic we were all discussing this in.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(July 4, 2014 at 4:24 am)Confused Ape Wrote: If people get confused they can always consult a dictionary.

I don't think you get the point. Even dictionaries (which aren't an authority, by the way) can have definitions that are incoherent. After all, I think the definition of God or omnipotence in some dictionary might be incoherent. But the real point is that words are just placeholders for conveying information and concepts. The words have no inherent meaning, so you need to be discussing what's really being asked.

Quote:Sorry - I thought you'd started the first topic we were all discussing this in.

Nope, twas some other guy. :3
-George Carlin
I believe it's a bit of a play on words.
We have a finite set of words to interpret an infinite amount of mental thoughts and ideas.
Just because the words don't fit, doesn't mean we can't feel a certain way towards an idea.

I don't care if there is a god or not, I can swing either way.
I have no proof which satisfies me enough to invest belief in any deity.
I have no proof that said deity cannot exist.
Deities are not important to me in my everyday life, so not very interested in wasting time trying to get to the bottom of it.
Pick or invent a word that reflects the above and that's me.
You can't use "ignoramus", it's taken.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Oooh, I've got a lot to pull you up on here but I'm at work now. In a nutshell, you've over-simplified some definitions (accurate use vs common usage vs common misuse) and you've conflated 'belief' and 'knowledge' a couple of times. I'll elaborate later.
Sum ergo sum
I don't believe God exists. However, that does not mean I know for sure that God does not exist. God, as defined traditionally, is too grand for me to make certainties about.

I do think God defies logic, though. But it being God, I don't see the violation of logic as a good enough reason to assert with confidence that he does not exist.
(July 4, 2014 at 4:07 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: 1) Atheism: Lack of belief in the existence of gods

2) Strong atheist: One who believes no gods exist

3) Gnostic atheist: One who claims to know no gods exist (not sure this synonymous with strong atheism)

4) Agnostic atheist: One who neither believes nor knows God doesn't exist?

5) Anti-theist: You guys seem to treat this as synonymous with strong atheism, even though it's generally synonymous with being anti-religious.

Atheism - The lack of belief in the existence of gods or a positive disbelieve, it depends
Strong atheist - I think this is more or less the same as Gnostic atheist, one who claims to know no gods exist
Agnostic atheist - One who lacks belief in gods but doesn't claim to know a god exists or not
Anti-theist - Against theism on a broad spectrum and not just religion. Being anti-religion is being against religion solely (mainly organized religion) but not against people believing in god per se.

Quote:Atheism: The belief, to some degree, that no gods exist

Weak Atheist: The belief that gods probably don't exist

Strong atheism: The belief that no gods exist. One could even claim that one knows this, given sufficient justification, I think.

Agnostic atheist: I think this would have to be more or less synonymous with weak atheism if it is to be coherent.

Agnostic: The belief that the proposition of deities existing is an epistemic boundary, either in principle or for the time being.

Atheism - Lack of belief in gods (at least)
Weak atheism - The same as agnostic atheism (most atheists are like this)
Agnostic - Someone who doesn't know if gods exist, but being an agnostic doesn't equal being an atheist

To clarify, an atheist is either someone who lacks belief in gods (most common position, aka agnostic atheism), or, when taken to the 'next level', someone who affirmatively says no gods exist/an active disbelieve in gods. It will just depend on the atheist. Being an anti-theist on the other hand doesn't make you a gnostic, you can be an anti-theist and an agnostic

This is also a problem regarding language. In portuguese for instance, saying 'lack of belief' is not common because the word 'lack' doesn't have a direct translation, therefore people just say 'não acredito em deus' that means 'I don't believe in god', most of the times this means 'I lack belief', that's what atheists mean to say, but since it is more common to say the phrase I just told you, they end up saying it most of the time

In english I don't know if there are any terminology problems with natives.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

The way I see it, there's no difference between disbelief and lack of belief. The distinction that should be made is between "belief" and "knowledge".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5883 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 8794 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 15876 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12455 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12125 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10467 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5105 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy theresidentskeptic 272 137609 December 10, 2013 at 12:02 am
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Definition of faith Dunno 2 1584 October 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4