RE: Empirical evidence of the "Holy Spirit"
December 10, 2011 at 4:25 am
(This post was last modified: December 10, 2011 at 4:26 am by Anymouse.)
The biggest problem is with the language. (I am speaking in my professional capacity as a Romance-novel editor now.)
Like the word "theory," which is used in two senses: 1) A hypothesis, or dubious claim B) A logical edifice which accounts for all extant facts
the word "evidence" has two meanings as well. Since all sides of the issue wish to stick to "their" definitions of the word (theist=subjective events are evidence, atheist=no they aren't), even that basic chasm cannot be bridged.
And when playing bridge, generally y'all have to use the same deck. 'Taint fair to deal hands out of different decks.
Neither side is particularly interested in yielding ground on even basic definitions of terms, as even that minor concession might be viewed as "surrender" or "retreat." So each side lobs salvos at the other, then posts YouTube videos with pithy titles like "Christian OOOOWWWWWNS athiest" or "Dawkins DESTROYS Mexican Masked Lucha Libre Wrestler/Christian Apologist."
I think everyone gets more fun out of the argument than actually convincing anyone of anything. Could be wrong though.
James.
"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."


