Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You?
Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You?
C. S. Lewis excuses the church for burning witches by saying that they truly believed in witches. He tells us that if we believed there were actually women who had sold their souls to Satan and were going around causing mischief, we would still be burning them, so we can’t judge those people by modern sentiments.

He forgets one little thing. The bible says…

”Exodus 22:18” Wrote:Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

That cold mean one of four things.
1. The Holy Spirit didn’t know there’s no such thing as witches when he moved the biblical writer to pen this passage.
2. The Holy Spirit knew but for his own purposes decided to allow his church to believe a lie for millennia.
3. Millennia of Christians misinterpreted this passage which doesn’t actually say there are witches.
4. Man wrote the bible and the Holy Spirit is as fanciful as witches.

Millions of women were sadistically murdered because of this passage. Misinterpretation? But those witch hunters believed they were being led by god. Do you believe god is leading you? Do you believe you have the correct interpretation of the bible? So did they, so how do you know that thousands of years from now the Holy Spirit might decide to show the future church that you were wrong but they should not judge you for your error since you truly believe something?

You want to believe that the Holy Spirit would never allow you to believe what isn’t so. He did it with witches and I’ve been told he is the same today, yesterday and forever.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You?
It's what I keep saying, they believe in a fictional version of an obvious fiction. No one who looks at the character of Yahweh (or Jeebus) can possibly think that piece of shit gives a good goddamn about humans and what they think or whether they comprehend it.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
The Bible passage was generously interpreted to apply to ALL women who are either practicing the wrong religion, practicing the right religion incorrectly, or practicing no religion at all.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 26, 2017 at 9:47 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: C. S. Lewis excuses the church for burning witches by saying that they truly believed in witches. He tells us that if we believed there were actually women who had sold their souls to Satan and were going around causing mischief, we would still be burning them, so we can’t judge those people by modern sentiments.

”Exodus 22:18” Wrote:Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

1. The Holy Spirit didn’t know there’s no such thing as witches when he moved the biblical writer to pen this passage.
2. The Holy Spirit knew but for his own purposes decided to allow his church to believe a lie for millennia.
3. Millennia of Christians misinterpreted this passage which doesn’t actually say there are witches.

Millions of woman were sadistically murdered because of this passage. Misinterpretation? But those witch hunters believed they were being led by god. [1] Do you believe god is leading you? Do you believe you have the correct interpretation of the bible? [2] So did they, so how do you know that thousands of years from now the Holy Spirit might decide to show the future church that you were wrong but they should not judge you for your error since you truly believe something? [3]

You want to believe that the Holy Spirit would never allow you to believe what isn’t so. He did it with witches and I’ve been told he is the same today, yesterday and forever. [4] 

1. Belief that you are being led by God is not the same as being lead by God. 
2. The NT was the last complete revelation from God (which includes saying that it is the last complete revelation from God until the end of time). It has everything in it to have judged the actions of burning witches as entirely contrary to the will of God. 
3. C.S. Lewis was explaining, not excusing. Failure to understand [2] does not create the problem you think it does.
4. The Holy Spirit does not control what people believe and certainly does not stop people from murder.
The biblical prohibition against witches and sorcerers seems somewhat illogical considering people are encouraged to become prophets and miracle workers. Based upon human nature it's possible that the passages against witches and sorcerers was included when the Bible was written in the 680s-692 as a way to end paganism.
Yahweh ain't gonna foster completion.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 26, 2017 at 10:35 am)SteveII Wrote:
(June 26, 2017 at 9:47 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: C. S. Lewis excuses the church for burning witches by saying that they truly believed in witches. He tells us that if we believed there were actually women who had sold their souls to Satan and were going around causing mischief, we would still be burning them, so we can’t judge those people by modern sentiments.

Millions of woman were sadistically murdered because of this passage. Misinterpretation? But those witch hunters believed they were being led by god. [1] Do you believe god is leading you? Do you believe you have the correct interpretation of the bible? [2] So did they, so how do you know that thousands of years from now the Holy Spirit might decide to show the future church that you were wrong but they should not judge you for your error since you truly believe something? [3]

You want to believe that the Holy Spirit would never allow you to believe what isn’t so. He did it with witches and I’ve been told he is the same today, yesterday and forever. [4] 

2. The NT was the last complete revelation from God (which includes saying that it is the last complete revelation from God until the end of time). It has everything in it to have judged the actions of burning witches as entirely contrary to the will of God. 
3. C.S. Lewis was explaining, not excusing. Failure to understand [2] does not create the problem you think it does.
4. The Holy Spirit does not control what people believe and certainly does not stop people from murder.

1. Your lack of introspection is, like the name says, astonishing.
2. Actually from what I've seen on youtube, presentations by well-informed atheists and books (which cite sources) the Quran makes the same claim of being the final revelation (I guess the Book of Mormon also does, but...ew.) But I can't cite chapter and verse off the top of my head so I'd feel hypocritical asking you to do so when you make such a huge claim about the NT but it's generally the practical thing to do when you're attempting to correct someone who knows more than you.
3. Who gives a flying fuck who said what? The content of the message is the only significant part. Doing otherwise is called religion. If people didn't believe Jeebus was who they think he was, nothing in that book would hold any water.
4. The holy spirit DOES apparently control what people do (poor Pharaoh, suffering through many more plagues because Have It Yahweh wanted to be a bigger dick) but is nevertheless solely responsible for ensuring that any message it wishes to convey to mankind comes through clearly and unmistakably and its failure to do this in any way, shape or form leaves few options other than it does not exist, it does not care what we do or think, or it is a very weak god and unworthy of the sort of devotion it gets.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(June 26, 2017 at 11:00 am)Astonished Wrote:
(June 26, 2017 at 10:35 am)SteveII Wrote: 1. Belief that you are being led by God is not the same as being lead by God. 

1. Your lack of introspection is, like the name says, astonishing.
2. Actually from what I've seen on youtube, presentations by well-informed atheists and books (which cite sources) the Quran makes the same claim of being the final revelation (I guess the Book of Mormon also does, but...ew.) But I can't cite chapter and verse off the top of my head so I'd feel hypocritical asking you to do so when you make such a huge claim about the NT but it's generally the practical thing to do when you're attempting to correct someone who knows more than you.
3. Who gives a flying fuck who said what? The content of the message is the only significant part. Doing otherwise is called religion. If people didn't believe Jeebus was who they think he was, nothing in that book would hold any water.
4. The holy spirit DOES apparently control what people do (poor Pharaoh, suffering through many more plagues because Have It Yahweh wanted to be a bigger dick) but is nevertheless solely responsible for ensuring that any message it wishes to convey to mankind comes through clearly and unmistakably and its failure to do this in any way, shape or form leaves few options other than it does not exist, it does not care what we do or think, or it is a very weak god and unworthy of the sort of devotion it gets.

1. I hesitate to respond because I really don't really care for your version of a discussion, but I will give it a shot...
2. It's really hard to give you verse or two because it is the entire conclusion of the NT that it is the final revelation of God. After 2000 years of promising, God himself, in the person of Jesus, came to earth to pay our penalty in order to bridge the gap back to God so that we can have a relationship with him now and forever. Following the acceptance of the proffered gift, it is complete with instructions on how to conduct oneself. The next thing to expect is the second coming of Jesus. The exclusivity claims and exhaustive nature of the message is present in almost every chapter of the NT. 
3. If you want to argue about conclusions of Christian teachings, you have to start with correctly understanding what those teaching are. I don't really care if you believe them or not. NT Christianity could never be construed to burn witches...period.
4. One of the responsibilities of the Holy Spirit is to make sure God's message is conveyed clearly and unmistakably and therefore that is why the NT is complete in it's description of the human condition, remedy for that condition, and guidance on how to conduct ourselves. If one chooses not to read it, who's fault is that?
(June 26, 2017 at 10:35 am)SteveII Wrote:

And the Holy Spirit apparently didn't control what was written in the bible. Exodus 22:18.

Again, how do you know that you are being led by god if belief is no guarantee that you are?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(June 26, 2017 at 12:09 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(June 26, 2017 at 11:00 am)Astonished Wrote: 1. Your lack of introspection is, like the name says, astonishing.

1. I hesitate to respond because I really don't really care for your version of a discussion, but I will give it a shot...
2. It's really hard to give you verse or two because it is the entire conclusion of the NT that it is the final revelation of God. After 2000 years of promising, God himself, in the person of Jesus, came to earth to pay our penalty in order to bridge the gap back to God so that we can have a relationship with him now and forever. Following the acceptance of the proffered gift, it is complete with instructions on how to conduct oneself. The next thing to expect is the second coming of Jesus. The exclusivity claims and exhaustive nature of the message is present in almost every chapter of the NT. 
3. If you want to argue about conclusions of Christian teachings, you have to start with correctly understanding what those teaching are. I don't really care if you believe them or not. NT Christianity could never be construed to burn witches...period.
4. One of the responsibilities of the Holy Spirit is to make sure God's message is conveyed clearly and unmistakably and therefore that is why the NT is complete in it's description of the human condition, remedy for that condition, and guidance on how to conduct ourselves. If one chooses not to read it, who's fault is that?

Wow, I thought you were just naive but you're actually completely full of shit. You're just another biblical ignoramus who doesn't want to admit to all the contradictions and unwisdom of the damn thing (not to mention Jeebus was supposed to come back in the lifetime of his followers...and Jeebus wasn't even able to fulfill all the prophecies he was supposed to...and wasn't named what the Messiah was supposed to be named...but those are just those little inconvenient truths you like to pretend don't exist.) How do you not realize this is what makes it so hard to take you seriously from the start? You make way too many assumptions and underestimate the knowledge of your opponents, so what do you expect?

---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 319 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 7941 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13019 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Holy Tree QuarkDriven 28 6814 July 23, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do? Nope 92 16166 June 3, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Holy Stupid Cinjin 14 4495 April 27, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Fish must be very holy Boris Karloff 99 23956 March 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  How often does the holy spirit talk to you? TubbyTubby 54 14584 March 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  This holy water thing is full of shit! Esquilax 35 12069 March 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  In order for Jesus to change your soul first he has to break your spirit. Zidneya 6 2277 August 1, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist