Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghosts (Just read this)
RE: Ghosts (Just read this)
I once went on a ghost hunting mission with my ex boyfriend, and some friends. This was before I became an atheist, or even gave a shit at all. All night long people would scream, and claim they saw something. I screamed too because it was freaking me out. I never saw what my friends saw. I never felt anything icy cold reach out an grab me, but their hysteria convinced me that I must have sensed something supernatural at play.

Fast-forward two years, and I have already pretty much unwound religion from my brain, and I am lying in bed working on supernatural claims. So, I think about that night. I could honestly admit to myself that I hadn't seen anything, but I had to be sure. I threw on a jacket and drove an hour away to the same house where my friends and I had ghost hunted. I crawled in through the broken basement window, and did a full walk through, before taking a seat in the middle of the floor. I screamed out, trying to provoke whatever entity that had showed themselves to my friends. I called it names, I shouted how big of a pussy it was, and you know what happened next?

Absolutely. nothing.

This doesn't prove that ghosts don't exist, I know that. To me it proved that when more people are gathered together, feeding off each other's fears, and playing off of each other's queues, things can seem real. It also helps if you want it to be true. People assume they're always in control of their own minds, but in just assuming that, you've lost some control already. When I told one of the friends that went with me on the original trip what I experienced when I went alone, they started making all sorts of excuses for the fucking ghost, such as, "It knew you didn't believe in it, so it didn't mess with you." .

Oh, so ghosts are fucking mind readers now?

I have to say, she did sum it up perfectly, whether she realized it or not. It helps the illusion if you're already convinced it's real. It helps the authenticity if there are others with you who are longing for the same experience.

I don't know if ghosts are real, but I don't believe in them, personally.

Messages In This Thread
Ghosts (Just read this) - by ReB - December 21, 2011 at 5:56 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by downbeatplumb - December 21, 2011 at 6:15 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Norfolk And Chance - December 21, 2011 at 8:46 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Blam! - December 21, 2011 at 9:03 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Norfolk And Chance - December 21, 2011 at 9:52 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by The Grand Nudger - December 21, 2011 at 9:54 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Welsh cake - December 21, 2011 at 10:06 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Erinome - December 21, 2011 at 10:36 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Aegrus - December 21, 2011 at 10:52 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Blam! - December 21, 2011 at 11:01 am
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Cinjin - December 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by padraic - December 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Minimalist - December 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm
RE: Ghosts (Just read this) - by Mister Agenda - December 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read about BP treatment brewer 4 1131 July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Once Again - Science Does Stuff While Religitards Read Their Silly Old Books! Minimalist 6 1322 March 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have you read On the Origin of Species? libalchris 13 5352 May 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Darwin Audio Book (Read by Dawkins) Kyuuketsuki 4 3374 May 14, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet