Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:54 am

Poll: Have you read On the Origin of Species?
This poll is closed.
Yes
40.00%
8 40.00%
No, but I plan on it in the future
40.00%
8 40.00%
No, and I don't plan on it.
20.00%
4 20.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you read On the Origin of Species?
Have you read On the Origin of Species?
Has anyone read On the Origin of Species? I decided to read it, and I'm just starting chapter 4: natural selection. Pretty good so far. I've been told that (even though outdated) it contains extremely good evidence for evolution since the whole book is basically a proof of the theory assuming no prior knowledge, and not making any unwarranted assumptions.
RE: Have you read On the Origin of Species?
I just read it because I like Charles Darwin. I'm not overly into biology.
I've had it in my iBooks library for almost 2 years. Still haven't gotten to it. #Lazy
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
No, I have not read Darwin's Origin of Species. Nor have I read Newton's Principia. Both are founding documents of modern science. I would undoubtedly be interested in reading both after I retire and have nothing better to do. But I have no time to read them now because the science they pioneered is the real crux of the issue, and the science, being actually fact based, is both capable of outgrowing them, and have indeed far grown them.

Why is this so? Because unlike Christianity, science if a field in which genuine improvement is possible, and not blocked by the fantasy of the received sn unerring word. Origin of Species offers a initial explanation of how evolution could be true. But unlike the bible, the fundamental truth in origin of species is based on facts. Therefore the entire field of evolutionary science stands with or without Darwin's words.

This is why truly dim witted christian insults to education like Alter2Ego betrays the depth of their idiocy when they attack evolution by trying moronically to quote Origin of Species.
Agreed. Its definitely not essential for anyone to read it, I'm just reading it because it's historically significant and because, I've heard, it contains excellent evidence for the theory of evolution, even in the modern context.
Ahahaha... I'm the only one (currently) who never plans to read it Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I've read it, but only in stages, so I could probably do with reading it again front to back.
Honestly? I've read quite a few books on the subjects of religion and evoloution, The Bible included and have a very good grasp of both but I never really took the time to read this one which really is the most important. Kind of an embarrasing thing to admit.
Maybe I can download it onto my kindle.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
May as well, it is free.
For a book that was written over 150 years ago, it really is incredibly readable and not too heavy at all.

I really enjoyed it and would recommend anyone interested in evolution to give it a go, it isn't too long and it gives a great insight into the man and the birth of the theory of evolution.

The ideas within still hold true and are very relevant even today

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2304 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 638 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1326 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4410 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 851 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  An interesting read about BP treatment brewer 4 1011 July 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Once Again - Science Does Stuff While Religitards Read Their Silly Old Books! Minimalist 6 1178 March 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6278 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3312 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Remains of new human species found ignoramus 32 6571 September 10, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: MTL