Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real?
RE: Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real?
(January 27, 2024 at 10:54 am)emjay Wrote: And does that satisfy you? 

That's an interesting question. I hadn't thought of all this in terms of my personal satisfaction. 

I know from reading lots of things that these are basic themes in theology and philosophy, so it makes sense that anyone interested in those fields would look into them. 

Quote:Even if you or classical theology are not comfortable thinking of God as a material thing it's still presumably to you not-nothing? If so, then for me, they're tantamount to the same thing; why, and how, is there something not nothing, is to me the same core question as why, and how, is there not-nothing not nothing, so to speak. So in whatever über sense you mean God is above and beyond the material world, whether in a Platonic forms sort of way or something else, that's still not a distinction that makes any difference from my point of view, to the core question of how any non-nothing/thing can either arise from nothing or exist eternally.

Yes, I think it would be a mistake to get bogged down on issues of modern English usage. Whether the word "thing" can refer to Platonic Forms or not isn't really the problem. 

If there are such things as Platonic Forms, they are generally not knowable through the senses. But I would have no trouble with a sentence like "You can't know about those things in the way that you know about rocks and lizards." 

I guess my point is just that whatever kind of thing a Platonic Form is -- or what God is -- we have to be careful not to treat it as something that would necessarily be definable, quantifiable, or locatable in space. For millennia, those are not characteristics attributed to them. 

At the moment I'm reading Plato and Dialectic, by Rush Rhees. This guy worked closely with Wittgenstein, so he's not someone who's stuck in the past. So far in the book he hasn't said anything about what a God would be like, but he does accept that there are aspects of the world that cannot be spoken of adequately in human language. He finds Plato's approach to be relevant and useful here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? - by Belacqua - January 27, 2024 at 7:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4658 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 6930 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2667 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1091 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4900 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3434 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 4018 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11702 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Jesus Christ and Marvel Interaktive 18 2722 July 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4827 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3