Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one?
Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one?
In the past when Muslims and/ or Christians occupied some country they would force their religion onto the occupied folks. So let's say you find yourself in similar situation where you had to pretend to be part of some religion to stay alive or avoid additional taxes (which were the usual means of forcing people to switch into occupation forces religion) which one would be the easiest to bear?

You can't answer FSM religion because you know why.
And also I guess we could exclude Satanism since that is not really defined - for instance to "real" Christians every other religion than theirs is Satanism.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one?
(July 14, 2019 at 10:42 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: In the past when Muslims and/ or Christians occupied some country they would force their religion onto the occupied folks. So let's say you find yourself in similar situation where you had to pretend to be part of some religion to stay alive or avoid additional taxes (which were the usual means of forcing people to switch into occupation forces religion) which one would be the easiest to bear?

You can't answer FSM religion because you know why.
And also I guess we could exclude Satanism since that is not really defined - for instance to "real" Christians every other religion than theirs is Satanism.

Dibs on Wicca.  It seems to vary so much between believers that I could pretty much live my life as I am now without stepping on any metaphorical toes. 

And I'm not averse to dancing in the nuddy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Honestly the answer would likely be whatever the majority religion was in the area I chose to live. If I was just going to pick one, though, it would have to be a relaxed religion that focuses on just being a nice person in this life. One where you can be who you want to be, and it's not overly worried about an afterlife, or ostracizing/killing people who aren't in the group. I'd probably have to do some research to figure out which one that is, but it certainly wouldn't be an Abrahamic religion.

I once thought it would be Buddhism, because it's all about personal enlightenment, and reincarnation, but when I learned more about it I realized you're not supposed to want endless reincarnation, and there are violent members of that religion as well. Any religion that commands people to force others into their group, or shun people who aren't in the group, is excluded.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Native North/South American (pantheistic nature). I might pick something else from another part of the world but I don't know enough about them.

And peyote/mushrooms/loco weed is a definite plus.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Pantheism is probably a good idea. People are different from each other. We have different interests, goals, and all that. So having a pantheon of gods to choose from, according to your interests, is a good way to get different groups to coexist.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm not sure. It's something I'd really have to think about.
But it would likely be something that involved the natural world as its base. Does Wicca fall into that category? Maybe something Druidic?
Jedi Knight or why bother?
Aztec.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 14, 2019 at 1:46 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Aztec.

I find myself stunningly unsurprised. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 14, 2019 at 2:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 14, 2019 at 1:46 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Aztec.

I find myself stunningly unsurprised. 

Boru

Do you know how difficult it is to get obsidian knives?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3985 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2524 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1940 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2709 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4232 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 16614 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2510 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16556 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12685 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine. TanithDaUnicorn 39 5876 February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman