Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 11:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have women achieved equal status to men yet?
RE: Have women achieved equal status to men yet?
I agree. People should get jobs based their ability to perform those jobs regardless of their gender, race, etc... and that means sometimes there may be more men in a position that women are just physically incapable of performing. And that's fine, as long as equal opportunity is given to women who can.

There's a delicate balance between being equal but fair. The case I was talking about was where there was a test taken for firefighters to get a promotion to captain or something along those lines, and the majority of people who passed where white men. The minorities did poorly. The city decided to throw out the results preventing people who studied hard to get the promotion they deserved on the basis that there was something wrong with the test since not enough minorities passed. The case went all the way to the supreme court and it was decided to keep the results of the test, a decision which I agreed with since there was no evidence that the test discriminated in any way.

It's tough too, because you also have to take into account opportunities. Many minorities have a harder time rising because their education is subpar and the challenges they can face to rise through the ranks are harder than white men, yet at the same time you can't deny promotions to white men who have done all the right things to get where they are going.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have women achieved equal status to men yet? - by Eilonnwy - July 20, 2009 at 10:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 2014 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 13088 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Smart women Ahriman 41 4152 December 18, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Yet another conspiracy?? Jehanne 8 716 October 14, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7656 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5660 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Am I the only one who hasn't reset their clocks for Daylight Savings yet? Angrboda 5 328 November 24, 2020 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Not Yet R.I.P. Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 36 2913 August 8, 2020 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2579 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 5933 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack