Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason)
RE: Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason)
(April 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm)oxymoron Wrote: Certain aspects of the world suck, for sure. Not all of it. And we get a million chances every day to make our lives a bit better. We already live far longer, far more secure, far more healthy lives than even our recent ancestors. The one thing that has made our lives better is science and engineering. 1800 years of prayers and hocus-pocus did sod all to life expectancy. Suddenly, with the invention of safe surgery, antibiotics, sanitation and disinfectants, people start living longer across all social stratas. Polio had its blighting ass kicked not by faith, but by medicine.

Since when should "belief in things not seen" (the OT's definition of faith, not mine) "explain reality"?

Vaccines destroyed polio and lots of other diseases including the much worse smallpox. Vaccines (and pasteurization) were "invented" by Louis Pasteur, a Christian. Many advances in Science, Technology, and medicine were the result of research by Christians. We do more than just pray. Oh, and praying started at least 6,000 years ago.

Ever been to Haiti? We type happily about things like this while people butcher one another and starve to death. I've been there. I've seen it. It's not depression. It's reality. Try explaining yourself to an eight year old boy who watched his father macheted to death. I believe his name is Andrea (they speak French in Haiti). I'll never forget the look in his eyes.

Belief in things not seen would be belief in an unseen reality, and it is the NT not the OT (Hebrews 11:1).

God is also described as compassionate and merciful, slow to anger, taking care of orphans. God is angry because we ruined the world we were supposed to take care of. Those people he slaughtered thought it was a good idea to sacrifice their children to the gods, and that really makes God angry. A world "downstairs" apart from his anger over sin would be with the worst of man's inhumanity and the lack of God's mercy.
"There is nothing so powerful as truth, and often nothing so strange." Daniel Webster

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason) - by wisdom searcher - April 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6087 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13753 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 790 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1504 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 36039 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3037 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 704 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 44647 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28600 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8868 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead