Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it.
RE: Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it.
If I may intrude, why are we discussing how we should act in relation to how we're treated? If we want theists to accept and trust us, why would we mimic the actions of the theists that we can't hardly stand to be around (ie. "you're going to burn in hell!")? And if we want to change the minds and beliefs of theists, why should we look at the techniques they're using to attempt to convert us? Those simply aren't working.

In my humble opinion, I feel that acting in a trustworthy, likable way is the best way to show theists that we are likable and trustworthy. Now of course that on its own isn't enough. We need to be loud and outspoken about our beliefs, in order that theists understand that we don't believe in God, and we are still good and trustworthy. Simply acting it isn't enough, they need to understand that we don't believe in God. Simply saying it isn't enough either though, because actions speak louder than words. If we want to be accepted as good moral people, we need to be outspoken about our beliefs, and act like good people at the same time.

As for deconverting theists: who here was deconverted because someone was an asshole and treated them like shit; insulting them and what not? Maybe some were, and maybe techniques like that work, I doubt it, but I'm genuinely interested in knowing if anyone here lost faith in their belief because someone got in their face and acted like a dick. So please let me know if that worked on you.

That's all just my opinion though. I haven't a lot of experience with all of it, so please let me know if you completely disagree and why.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it. - by libalchris - April 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Militant Atheism? Data 274 12643 September 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 7157 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5294 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2859 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6551 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do psychologists need religion? Interaktive 17 1538 May 16, 2021 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 14304 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30361 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 15541 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 47813 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician