Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
I have over the years gotten tired of discussng whether there is a god, with well meaning relatives. I have a new program. I say,

I would like to (1) believe in god, if god exists; and (2) to not believe in god, if God does not exist. Can you say the same? If the answer is "no," I refuse to discuss the matter as we have left the realm of what is in favor of we would like to be.

I've tried this just three times now. The answer has never been flat out no at least not initially. Instead, the responses have been: but you are trying to take away my faith; Pascal's Wager; and I just know he does. To which I respond, that unless you are willing to consider the possibility there is no god, than there is no point in the dicussion. It isn't perfect, but so far this works better than anything I've tried yet.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
I've been using a similar approach from time to time in religious discussions, irl.  I give them even more, though.  I ask whether or not there might be things associated with their faith that they wouldn't agree with -regardless- of the existence of a god.   Could be anything, really, from the innerrency of scripture to the bedroom busybodyism of peepergod.

I've known enough grunts to know it's a waste of time discussing anything with head bobbers. Unless theyre willing to hold their own diety to some standard, "god will(s) it" will always seem like a sufficient answer to any question regardless of what that question is, as far as they're concerned. Why is the sky blue? Gods will. Why are we bipedal? Gods will. Why can't I shake my pecker four times after I piss? God's will. When is slavery okay? Gods will. Who deserves to die? Gods will.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm a little more blunt: "If you'd like me to stay in the room/at this gathering we won't discuss religion or politics. "
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I like your approach, Jenny, I'm the same way. I like discussing religion (but not politics), but there's no point in discussing it with someone who is not interested in finding out the truth, if they just want to validate their preconceived opinions.
Jeff a.k.a. wheatpenny

"If God sends me to hell I will start a commune there. And it will be the greatest commune ever because all the best people will be there"
(Osho)
(March 3, 2018 at 6:10 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm a little more blunt: "If you'd like me to stay in the room/at this gathering we won't discuss religion or politics. "

Too subtle. "We're all armed here. Don't start something I'll have to finish."
(March 3, 2018 at 6:03 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I have over the years gotten  tired of discussng whether there is a god, with well meaning relatives.  I have a new program.  I say,

I would like to (1) believe in god, if god exists; and  (2) to not believe in god, if God does not exist.  Can you say the same?  If the answer is "no,"  I refuse to discuss the matter as we have left the realm of what is in favor of we would like to be.  

I've tried this just three times now. The answer has never been flat out no at least not initially.  Instead, the responses have been:  but you are trying to take away my faith; Pascal's Wager; and I just know he does.  To which I respond, that unless you are willing to consider the possibility there is no god, than there is no point in the dicussion.   It isn't perfect, but so far this works better than anything I've tried yet.

I always ask "If you are bleeding out after a car accident, do you call an ambulance or pray?" makes them think for seconds at least. Pointing out that without a fear of death religion has no power.. sometimes strikes a chord. Getting people to actually read the book changes their own minds for them. Disrupting church services by noisily eating a bag of crisps always helps..
It's a pointless discussion either way.  Remember, is not merely "god" they are arguing for it is "their god."  Ask yourself what would happen if you said that you were inclined to accept allah?
Anusius ?

Cloacina ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Cloacina certainly exists.  YOu can tell by the smell.
(March 3, 2018 at 6:03 pm)Jenny A Wrote: <Snipped for focus>
Unless you are willing to consider the possibility there is no god, than there is no point in the discussion.

Beautiful. This should be part of the forums banner.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6302 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 12953 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6537 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6842 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1731 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29735 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 46810 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2496 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3958 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 3859 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja