Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 5:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conscious thought, experience, and the inevitable.
RE: Conscious thought, experience, and the inevitable.
I used to fear death but I don't as much anymore.

It is a useful survival instinct for us organisms to have. It is the primary binding principle behind all evolution. Survival. It is written into our DNA.

Humans are rational and understand that death is inevitable and inescapable and final. Resist, ignore, or try to escape it as we may it finds all of us just the same. It reduces the most powerful and most powerless among us to the same end.

Heidegger calls life Being unto Nothingness. Kierkegaard spoke of Sickness unto Death. They were speaking of the feeling of finiteness. The fact that each human has an end that is always growing nearer. That all feelings, thoughts, works, and things face the certitude of annihilation.

Religion is consoling in this respect. It provides hope of escaping from annihilation and nothingness. To placate oneself with falsehoods is tantamount to dishonesty, weakness and bad faith.

Fear clouds our ability to think rationally. I know that I am a Being unto Nothingness. That I face that eventual fate and that there is nothing I can do about it. It is final and binding and inevitable. So all I can work to do is face that thought with serenity and acceptance. Life is meaningless and finite but that does not mean that all things mean nothing. They matter while we are alive. One can live in fear or one can work to overcome that fear. I choose to not be afraid.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conscious thought, experience, and the inevitable. - by mediamogul - April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1853 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1054 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 984 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living? Aegon 27 3249 May 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6912 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12992 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6372 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 8119 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Critical thought is hard urlawyer 56 11439 April 19, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A Conscious Universe FallentoReason 327 45517 February 14, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Pizza