Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living?
Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living?
I've noticed that ever since my transplant I have been very optimistic and motivated (or perhaps driven is an even better word.) My personality practically did a 180, because it reminded me of the fragility of life and the fact that I can't waste any time I might have. I didn't have these inclinations before my kidneys failed, to be honest. Do you think it is necessary for one to go through very bad times in order to make the most out of the good?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living?
I don't know if you need a traumatic experience, but I do think a little suffering puts life in perspective. People are stupid to avoid suffering at such costs. We evolved as a species that went through trauma.

At one time I went through real dehydration, in a way that 99% of people never will, I thought I could smell the water in a rock. Ever since then, I've appreciated every drop of water more than if that had never happened to me.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Does one need to go through traumatic experience to truly appreciate living?
(May 13, 2018 at 8:09 pm)Aegon Wrote: I've noticed that ever since my transplant I have been very optimistic and motivated (or perhaps driven is an even better word.) My personality practically did a 180, because it reminded me of the fragility of life and the fact that I can't waste any time I might have. I didn't have these inclinations before my kidneys failed, to be honest. Do you think it is necessary for one to go through very bad times in order to make the most out of the good?

Yes
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Probably depends on the individual more than anything else.

Do homeless veterans with PTSD appreciate living?
Hmmm I don't know that it helped me. Although my experiences were likely a completely different thing.
No, and not necessarily trauma, though if you do come out the other side it tends to open your eyes. 

Some good life events are definitely life changing. 

Consider a child coming into your life (birth/adopt/foster). Finding your (next) love. Getting your dream job.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 13, 2018 at 8:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Probably depends on the individual more than anything else.

Ever give one a McDonald's cheeseburger? He'll appreciate it more than anyone else.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
One thing about bad kidneys- they can really jack up your body, and that has to play hob with your psychological well-being.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I think it depends on the individual.

There are those who go through a traumatic event and get a better appreciation for life. And there are those who live every day that way without ever having anything bad happen to them (bastards!).

Then there's me. I had a very bad motorcycle accident in my early 20s, and my heart stopped for nearly 20 minutes. And I'm still the same miserable, somewhat psychotic individual I've always been. Except, perhaps, that I have a death wish (according to my parents).
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 13, 2018 at 8:51 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(May 13, 2018 at 8:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Probably depends on the individual more than anything else.

Ever give one a McDonald's cheeseburger? He'll appreciate it more than anyone else.

Maybe.  He might say, "who do you think I look like?  Fucking Trump??"

Why insult a complete stranger?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living in a sim... ignoramus 64 3474 November 21, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Trascending through time Macoleco 79 13559 December 22, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The Blameless Life is not Worth Living Rhondazvous 11 1458 January 17, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why Does No One Change the Incorrect Relationship Narrative? InquiringMind 55 6697 October 7, 2016 at 1:31 am
Last Post: InquiringMind
  The philosophy of reaching God through utter depression WinterHold 11 1896 July 31, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Levi_Black
Question How does one respond to this argument?It's long but an interesting read. Thanks :) fruyian 44 6917 May 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  >without the bad you can't appreciate the good MusicLovingAtheist 19 3745 October 22, 2014 at 10:41 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Are We Living In God's "Matrix"? sswhateverlove 100 14336 September 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Living Universe, Buddhism, Etc. Etc. hppavilion 5 1816 June 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Truly objective ethics dimar 9 3239 April 5, 2014 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Jackalope