Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it.
RE: Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it.
(April 23, 2012 at 4:57 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:
(April 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm)deciple Wrote: athiest leaders have murderd millions and millions of people.

There is a difference between murdering people in the name of God, and in the name of politics.
No leader has murdered because they are atheist, but there are plenty who have murdered because they are theist.

(April 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm)deciple Wrote: I ask you not to judge all of us because of the actions of a few. even the 12 disciples had a bad apple in there midst Wink peace

Actually, militant atheism has little to do with the individual. Nobody would care if theism was harmless, but as a whole, it is responsible for restricting education, perpetrating hostility and inequality and a long list of misdemeanors in the name of a unfalsifiable hypothesis proposed in antiquity.

Even the most pleasant theist in the world, still provides the bedrock of passive support for the extremist actions through shared belief.
Fundamentalists thrive on this passive support, even if their direct actions are not.

You are correct in saying there is a difference in murdering people in the name of God vs the name of politics. And more athiest leaders have murderd their OWN people in the name of politics. So shouldnt a war against politics be 1st priority? Its true the name of God has been invoked in order to wage war which in my opinion is a horrible thing. Not nearly the amount of war has been waged in the name of god as most people believe. We of course, have the crusades and alot of the wars of the bible itself. But no wars in modern history have been waged in the name of God. Its also true that the church has been part of many an atrocity, the salem witch trials, and the dark ages come to mind off hand. I can say without doubt nobody you know has been burned at the stake for their non belief and nobody I know has ever burned anybody at the stake. Today in 2012 forgive me if im wrong but arent atheists given equal protection under the law? Arent you allowed to freely assemble in public and have a march or rally? As you should be allowed to do I might add. Worldwide in recent history atheism is more tolerated than christianity. We have the theocracy of iran where you could be executed and a few other throwback states but you can also be excecuted there for being anything other than muslim. Now i realize that you may not be able to get a job if the employer is a raving judgemental christian but on the flipside i may not get a job somewhere if the employer is a raving judgemental atheist. In both cases it would be a tragedy. Now there is the issue of cults and the occasional nutjob such as joseph kony or christian militias that want to wage a war for god. We thiests should not be held accountable for those detestable people any more than all black people should be held accountable for a few that formed the bloods and crips. looking forward to your thoughts. peace.
Islam has killed millions in the last decade, lets focus all attention on Christianity!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it. - by Disciple - April 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Militant Atheism? Data 274 12481 September 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 7129 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5275 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2844 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6524 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do psychologists need religion? Interaktive 17 1534 May 16, 2021 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 14224 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30318 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 15492 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 47750 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician