Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncovering the Lucan Allegory
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory
(July 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Ah yes, I see what you're saying. Unfortunately the country's borders didn't end at the shores of the sea. They ended at the Yarmuk River. So it still doesn't make sense for Luke to say they are in the country of the Gerasenes.

Quote:6 miles from the sea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umm_Qais there is a good pic of the ruins on a hill looking down to the sea that gives a great understanding of how the two are related.

I saw the picture at the bottom. Umm Qais is situated on the Yarmuk River though where the country ends.
How can you quote wiki to build an arguement against, what the same artical says later on?

READ The WHOLE Artical. The Territory or 'Country of Gerasenes' is not in anyway in any type of dispute here! (Even though their is contraversy over the actual site) But the fact that Gerasenes extended to the sea of Galilee is solid fact. For the very next paragraph (Just Above The Picture I want You To Note) in the very same wiki artical that you have been quoting speaks directly to the description of the Said 'country of Gardens.' Which Extends to the Shores of the sea of Galilee.

Quote:Hmm.. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and believe you genuinely misunderstood the reference again. Book 3 of the Wars of the Jews I meant, not Josephus' third work he ever wrote...

Quote:Here's an awesome place to search up all of the ancient writings: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text...99.01.0148
I've linked you to Josephus' work but not directly to the page, so that you can get some practice with the referencing style Wink
Got it! Now that that is over what does the description of Gerasenes have to do with anything?

Quote:I think it takes more faith to believe 'Legion' is genuinely the name of the demon(s) rather than Luke making a connection between Jews killed by Roman legion(s).
Big Grin How so? All you have are quotes from Josephus describing the land and the fruit bearing trees. The rest of your 'evidence' (The 'works of Barnabus, and your wiki reference) do not support any of your assertions.

Quote:If Luke's account is actually genuine, then care to explain its meaning? Jesus travels all this way to step out of the boat, cast out demons, destroy a huge amount of someone's livestock (a crime in those days? I don't know, but not very nice anyways),
Not considered to be by the Jews, as Pigs were deemed 'unclean.'

Quote:caused great fear in the country and got asked to leave. Why?
God only knows for sure. Perhaps it is as the end of the chapter indicates. He went there to Help One man from being tormented by a 'leigon' of Demons. Perhaps this man was known beyond the 'Country of Gerasenes' as being stricken with The most powerful collection of Demons ever known. We are told many tried but all failed to cast out these Demons, so besides helping this one man who could not be helped by anyone else. Christ also cemented His power and Authority in the minds of everyone who knew of this man and the efforts to free him from possession.

After all if this Legion was anything like a Roman legion there were possiably 5000 Demons, that Christ dispatched with a single word.

Messages In This Thread
Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 1:12 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by cratehorus - July 23, 2012 at 1:22 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 1:23 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 1:39 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Zen Badger - July 23, 2012 at 7:27 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 9:01 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 10:35 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Minimalist - July 23, 2012 at 1:32 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 26, 2012 at 12:20 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 26, 2012 at 8:27 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 28, 2012 at 12:06 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 28, 2012 at 1:22 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 28, 2012 at 9:57 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by King_Charles - July 30, 2012 at 3:09 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 30, 2012 at 6:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible rexbeccarox 21 4827 April 26, 2013 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 14 3627 September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 11 4182 July 27, 2012 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory FallentoReason 7 3986 July 11, 2012 at 3:26 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory Barre 139 57446 January 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Epimethean