Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible
Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible
Most Christians think the Bible is a combination of allegory and literal fact. Can the Christians on the board enlighten me as to which book/gospel is which?
RE: Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible
I think it goes something like this.

The ones that show their god being a total dick are allegorical.

The handful that don't are literal.

Unless they are fundies...then they are all literal and their god is a dick.
(April 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Unless they are fundies...then they are all literal and their god is a dick.

Yes, but he's a loving dick. And that's totally not a creepy way to put it.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I think it's a line by line thing, becca, and might be a word by word. How much time you got?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It is whatever you want it to be. What is literal and what is metaphorical is entirely dependent on what you want to be true, and what sort of challenge is issued.
(April 25, 2013 at 4:16 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I think it's a line by line thing, becca, and might be a word by word. How much time you got?

Damn... I was hoping for book-by-book. I mean, is it really too much to ask? When I write, it's usually pretty consistently the same type of piece throughout. Same with stuff I read.

I'm gonna wait and see if maybe one of our resident Christians will pin it down for me. I realize I could be waiting awhile Angel
(April 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(April 25, 2013 at 4:16 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I think it's a line by line thing, becca, and might be a word by word. How much time you got?

Damn... I was hoping for book-by-book. I mean, is it really too much to ask? When I write, it's usually pretty consistently the same type of piece throughout. Same with stuff I read.

I'm gonna wait and see if maybe one of our resident Christians will pin it down for me. I realize I could be waiting awhile Angel

Yep, you likely will be. 'Specially since there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to which are which, nor is there any method apparent how to tell the difference, as far as I can see.
I doubt anyone would provide a book-by-book breakdown, as much as a story-by-story breakdown. And that would be a pretty big undertaking. But I also think that the line between what 'really happened' and what is just a moral fable has moved over time, and will continue to do so as we learn more about the real past.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Most of scripture is literal, the allegories would be parables and most of those are clearly stated, prophecy would be totally different and most prophecy is clearly stated. to break the entire Bible down into these categories would be a massive undertaking, I suggest you read the Bible as literal and take into account the prophecies and parables and then see what you make of it. I would suggest if you decide to read the Bible you use a chronological version, like the New Living Translation, it uses our modern language and makes for a smoother reading. I do not use it as a study version though, the New American Standard is much better for serious study. The NLT is a good life application read.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
According to me:

All done!
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44142 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4304 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 12053 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13302 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hell.. so yeah let's fact check dyresand 6 2274 September 1, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Let's get the fact's straight dyresand 74 11440 July 10, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Genesis is not fact, there for Jesus is not necessary? FiveSpotCharlie 58 12507 March 5, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  A Literal Genesis Entails An Evil God FallentoReason 116 38857 May 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction? Greatest I am 71 18656 February 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist