Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory
Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory
In the following, I shall advance the thesis that the story of Adam and Eve is built upon a common domestic issue. The story illustrates the parental admonition that young people should not engage in sex just because they have reached the age that allows them to do so. I also maintain that the literary genre of the work is an allegory where persons and places are symbolic. The allegory probably stems from Israel’s wisdom tradition which produced the allegory in found in Qoheleth 12:1ff. Also, the sexual content of the story is a topic that the wisdom tradition addressed as shown by the Song of Songs and by the book of Proverbs.

We begin with the plot development in which the couple move from not knowing to knowing they are naked. Not knowing that they were naked is how the narrative describes the innocence of childhood. Young children are not ashamed of nakedness. Accordingly, Yahweh plays the role of a parent, instructing his children in what to avoid.

What about the tree of the knowledge of good and bad? The meaning of the phrase, “good and bad” seems to hold the same meaning as it does with regard to a certain Barzillai:

I am now eighty years old; can I tell the good from the bad? Has your servant any taste for his food and drink? Can I still hear the voices of men and women singers? Why should your servant be a further burden to my lord the king? (2 Sam 19:36)

Barzillai’s problem is that his sense of taste and hearing are dulled due to old age. Understood in this way, the primordial pair and Barzillai are the same. Old age is a kind of second innocence. Knowing good and bad describes sexually active adult life that occurs between youthful innocence and desensitized old age. It also describes God, for to be like God is to know good and bad. The transition from childhood to adulthood is also described as “being wise” as opposed to being naive, a contrast that is often drawn in Proverbs.

The snake, perhaps originally thought to be a lizard with legs, symbolizes Adam’s phallus with an erection, erect as the serpent originally was. Eating of the tree of knowledge represents intercourse. That a fruit should represent this is shown by the erotic image fruit has in the Song of Solomon. After eating the fruit, the couple are found to have acquired carnal knowledge, instantly changed from innocent, virgin children to into sexually active “adults.” Their punishment for “not waiting” is described in terms of teenagers forced to premature parenthood. Adam will have to get a difficult job to support his family and Eve will become pregnant and will have the bear the pains of childbirth and bear the responsibilities of motherhood. Furthermore, they have now become mortal, subject to death. It is this motif that lifts the story to a “cosmic” level. As for the tree of life and its celestial guardian, this appears to be an addition to the story as is the insertion of the description of the four rivers thought to flow from Eden.

RE: Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory
you look way too hard at this, not everything is symbolic in the bible. here's some things- God said not to eat from the tree at all, not to wait till the proper moment. the snake represents a deciever, which is how calling someone a snake originated. eve got pregnant too early? adam had his first son at the age of 130. his name was Seth. i don't understand if your asking a question or just saying what's on your mind
I don't look at it very hard because it's all made up and irrelevant.

And theists like yourself deciding which bits are literal and which are metaphorical, always amuses me.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

"I don't look at it very hard because it's all made up and irrelevant."

have you made this conclusion based off the fact that you've read and completely understood it, or the fact that you read a couple passages and assume it's all crap? you cannot conclude shakespeare sucks by reading a single line in one of his poems or plays, how should the bible be different?
(December 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm)chipan Wrote: "I don't look at it very hard because it's all made up and irrelevant."

have you made this conclusion based off the fact that you've read and completely understood it, or the fact that you read a couple passages and assume it's all crap? you cannot conclude shakespeare sucks by reading a single line in one of his poems or plays, how should the bible be different?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've come to the conclusion that it's sexist, homophobic shit after reading the entire bible.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
well simply put, you're wrong. it's none of those things.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
No, you're wrong. It's all of those things.

How do you decide which bits are literal and which bits are metaphorical?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(December 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm)chipan Wrote: well simply put, you're wrong. it's none of those things.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry her because he has violated her.

How is that not sexist? Is that the justice you would want for your daughter, sister, etc. if that were to happen to them? Does the fact that we put rapists in jail make man's law more moral and just than biblical law?

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done the detestable. They must be put to death.

How is that not homophobic?
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
Let's not forget that incest is also OK, so long as daddy is pissed and his daughter makes the first move.

And 1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must remain silent.

Chipan, how is that not sexist?
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 173 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Garden of Eden LinuxGal 4 465 October 19, 2023 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1220 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1128 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7300 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Fox News’ Father Jonathan Morris is Quitting the Priesthood So He Can Have Sex Fake Messiah 46 10597 June 7, 2019 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Drich
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3407 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3605 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 814 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Church of England 'colluded' with sex abuse bishop Peter Ball zebo-the-fat 4 1727 June 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13