Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 12:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncovering the Lucan Allegory
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory
(July 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
Quote:How can you quote wiki to build an arguement against, what the same artical says later on?

READ The WHOLE Artical. The Territory or 'Country of Gerasenes' is not in anyway in any type of dispute here! (Even though their is contraversy over the actual site) But the fact that Gerasenes extended to the sea of Galilee is solid fact. For the very next paragraph (Just Above The Picture I want You To Note) in the very same wiki artical that you have been quoting speaks directly to the description of the Said 'country of Gardens.' Which Extends to the Shores of the sea of Galilee.

I've read that paragraph and I have to agree with it. There's enough evidence for me to accept the territory reached the coast. That map that I linked you to from the wiki page is misleading then because it draws the territory as ending along the Yarmuk River instead of the Sea of Galilee, but nevermind.

Quote:Got it! Now that that is over what does the description of Gerasenes have to do with anything?
Quote: How so? All you have are quotes from Josephus describing the land and the fruit bearing trees. The rest of your 'evidence' (The 'works of Barnabus, and your wiki reference) do not support any of your assertions.

I also gave the bit where Josephus describes the entire massacre which seems very relevant with 'swines' being made to drown in Luke.

Therefore I still think it takes more faith to believe 'Legion' is genuinely the name of the demon(s) rather than Luke making a connection between Jews killed by Roman legion(s).

Quote:Not considered to be by the Jews, as Pigs were deemed 'unclean.'
Ah, then it makes even more sense that Luke would draw parallels between the Jews killed as being swines. That's the best way to promote a new religion to the Romans and such.

Quote:God only knows for sure. Perhaps it is as the end of the chapter indicates. He went there to Help One man from being tormented by a 'leigon' of Demons. Perhaps this man was known beyond the 'Country of Gerasenes' as being stricken with The most powerful collection of Demons ever known. We are told many tried but all failed to cast out these Demons, so besides helping this one man who could not be helped by anyone else. Christ also cemented His power and Authority in the minds of everyone who knew of this man and the efforts to free him from possession.

After all if this Legion was anything like a Roman legion there were possiably 5000 Demons, that Christ dispatched with a single word.

Sure. We can speculate Jesus was working miracles which oddly resembled an historical massacre that happened OR we can accept there was nothing supernatural and Luke simply flipped an historical event upside-down for his movement's benefit.

Big Grin So... despite what the 'evidence' shows, You have decided to default to simple faith because it is what you choose to believe?!?

Now if I were of the Atheist system of belief, you do know that i would be required at this point to baseball bat you verbably, until you conceeded the point or till you left the forum, because your 'faith' is contrary to what the evidence concludes. That said it seem to be your lucky day, because i am not of that system of belief. All that my system of belief requires of me is that I point out your hyprocrisy, by showing you the level of faith you have invested in a system of belief that is supposedly based in evidence and Fact alone. then I am to tell you if you invested the same mustard seed of Faith in God, He would produce a yeild in your life 10x what you invested. Meaning if you Gave God what you give your current system of belie,f you would have all the 'evidence' you needed to sustain a real Faith.

Messages In This Thread
Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 1:12 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by cratehorus - July 23, 2012 at 1:22 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 1:23 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 1:39 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Zen Badger - July 23, 2012 at 7:27 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 9:01 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 10:35 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Minimalist - July 23, 2012 at 1:32 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 26, 2012 at 12:20 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 26, 2012 at 8:27 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 28, 2012 at 12:06 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 28, 2012 at 1:22 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by Drich - July 28, 2012 at 9:57 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by King_Charles - July 30, 2012 at 3:09 am
RE: Uncovering the Lucan Allegory - by FallentoReason - July 30, 2012 at 6:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allegory vs. Literal Fact in the Bible rexbeccarox 21 4827 April 26, 2013 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 14 3627 September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory II FallentoReason 11 4182 July 27, 2012 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Uncovering the Markan Allegory FallentoReason 7 3986 July 11, 2012 at 3:26 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Primordial Sex--Eden as Allegory Barre 139 57446 January 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Epimethean