Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times
RE: Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times
(September 14, 2012 at 12:15 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 14, 2012 at 12:02 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Now you're committing the appeal to faith fallacy. "X is true. If you have faith, then you will see that x is true."
What I am doing is relaying the promise Given by God and full filled with 2000+ years of faithful followers. Myself being included in that number.

God's existence is what is at question here. You're merely begging the question as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Quote:The holy spirit is a pathetic substitute for the direct interventions of God in the OT. The holy spirit can't be distinguished from a placebo effect.
If the placebo is all you have been exposed to then how could you possiably know God?

Maybe I was exposed to God. I can't seem to tell though. That's the problem.

Quote:
Quote:You're still committing an ad hoc fallacy anyway. Just because you might give some theological reason doesn't make it any less ad hoc. There's still no evidence to support that reason.
"That is why you fail." -yoda

Don't know what that is suppose to mean. I'm a trekkie so maybe that's the problem.
Quote: If you want real evidence that something exists then one must Ask, Seek, and knock to obtain it. Not limit your exeriences to simply discuss it's philosiphical feesablity.

It's real simple. If you want to know if there is a God then ask Seek and Knock as He instructs and He will full fill His promise to you. that's it. that all anyone needs to find Real proof of God. If you don't and you wish to demand that God do magic tricks for you and strike you down dead on command as proof... Then well maybe one of you will get lucky.

I've done all of that crap before several times. But of course, you won't believe that because it didn't work for me. I guess I must have been "insincere" every time I did it.

And apparently, it's wrong now to be convinced by "sings and wonders." In your "knock knock" conversion, if any thing spectacular is excluded from being given to the sincere, then I guess what's left is just vague feelings. Really, what is given by God to the sincere knock knock person?

"knock knock"
"who's there?"
"God"
"God who?"
"God you're ugly."
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times - by Tea Earl Grey Hot - September 14, 2012 at 12:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 5 219 May 19, 2024 at 9:52 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions Leonardo17 67 4536 November 22, 2023 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 21507 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3136 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1995 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1471 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Secret hiding place for ancient christians Foxaèr 20 2444 May 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2925 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 14263 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 19064 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr