Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
RE: Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out.
(December 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(December 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: ...You are attempting to shift the burden of proof and I don't give one fuck what the topic is.

Brian,

I don't think anyone is trying to unfairly shift the burden of proof. People are just bringing up the old "head in a jar" aka solipsistic philosophical problem. The fact is that you can't proove that this reality is real because to do so would require reference to something outside this reality which, I believe, is not possible because "this" is the only reality that "is".

BTW you shoulder the burden of proof when you say things like this:
(December 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: ...A COGNITION IS NOT REQUIRED for the universe to exist therefore IT CANNOT BE A SIMULATION, anymore than a hurricane is a "simulation"...

To break that down into a syllogism:

Proposition: A cognition is not required for a universe to exist
Conclusion: Therefore it cannot be a simulation
As infered by the similarities to: A hurricane

The problem I see is that the proposition falls on its ear because it is just an assumption. Therefore the conclusion is not sound. Your proposition seems to be predicated from your epistemology which starts with the assumption that reality is real. I share that epistemology but have come to the conclusion that it is a basic belief rather than a scientifically supportable fact.

Tell me what problem you avoid with a "simulation" that a standard invisible sky daddy has?

I think maybe you forgot about "infinite regress". If we are a simulation, then what caused that simulation, then the simulation that caused that simulation has to be even more complex than the one prior.

HOWEVER if something that is merely a process and not caused, like seasons changing it has no problem with needing something even more complex to cause it.

"Simulation" has the same stupid problem as god belief does. Things simply being allows something to be either finite or infinite without causing a bigger complexity YOU cant explain.

Complexity is an emergent property, not a starting point. A "simulation" would require that same gap jump assuming a complexity and would need something even more complex to cause that complexity. How far back are you willing to take this "simulation" before you realize it has the same baggage?

"Hawkins has said a god is not required" and I would guess he'd shit all over this si fi woo too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are we all just part of a computer simulation? Scientists are trying to find that out. - by Brian37 - December 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1619 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3927 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What do scientists say about existence? Mariosep 186 51437 July 20, 2017 at 10:59 am
  What if the government was run by scientists? WisdomOfTheTrees 63 9093 February 21, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14614 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  Proof we Live in a Simulation AFTT47 25 5546 March 7, 2015 at 9:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Photons and determinism, part 2 bennyboy 87 17256 March 3, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Uploading Conciousness to Computer AFTT47 26 7837 January 29, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 7155 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  One thing I find encouraging on here! vodkafan 143 19355 August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Losty