Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The importance of travel
The importance of travel
Every once in a while on this board I've told someone that they strike me as someone that has never left the United States. Often times this is as a response to someone who is bashing America, or just making totally inaccurate claims about America. Ironically in my real life I find that these are often the same people who are afraid of actually leaving the country.

My comments are not meant to be the same as ignorant rednecks who say stupid shit like "If you don't like America, you can get out!" or the idiot left wing equivalent who say shit like "Well if you don't like so and so law, why don't you live in Somalia." I actually had someone say that to me on here when criticizing some of America's stupid traffic laws. Ironically I might be one of the few people on these boards who has actually lived in the developing world. (The so called third world) So these suggestions fall rather hollow on my ears.

No, mine is a real suggestion for people to go overseas and experience a different culture. I mean actually experience it too, a two week vacation to an area set up to replicate America is depriving yourself of any real experience. Try to get significant time off. If you do it correctly, traveling in the developing world should be much much cheaper per month then just paying rent in the US. For example your average hostel in most of South America is 3-5 dollars a night. Not only will this give you an actual experience with a different culture, but you will understand why we have it so good here in the United States. I feel that people who die within 100 miles of where they grew up have wasted their lives. Remember you only get one.

If people aren't aware of the best travel guide in the world:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
The importance of travel - by CapnAwesome - December 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by KichigaiNeko - December 29, 2012 at 11:58 am
RE: The importance of travel - by Dee Dee Ramone - December 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by CapnAwesome - December 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by Dee Dee Ramone - December 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by CapnAwesome - December 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by Dee Dee Ramone - December 30, 2012 at 3:29 am
RE: The importance of travel - by CapnAwesome - December 30, 2012 at 11:36 am
RE: The importance of travel - by Tea Earl Grey Hot - December 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by Annik - December 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm
RE: The importance of travel - by frankiej - December 30, 2012 at 11:40 am
RE: The importance of travel - by Tea Earl Grey Hot - December 30, 2012 at 11:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where's your favorite place to travel to? EgoDeath 21 2675 March 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 10646 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  About Syria A Travel Question for Northern and Eastern Europeans Jenny A 6 1568 September 29, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Can you recommend any ultra lite travel trailers? Whateverist 24 3278 September 9, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Travel Thread - U.S. Version thesummerqueen 157 22109 August 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Violet