Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's your favorite place to travel to?
Where's your favorite place to travel to?
So I love to travel... I love to try new foods and meet new people and see new places. When I visit somewhere I try to travel a little bit off the beaten path, so to speak. Meeting locals is always a good way to get an "in" into the local culture. It's not always easy but I've always been able to connect with people somewhat naturally so I usually end up having some cool stories.

My favorite place I've been so far is Kauai, Hawaii. I did a ten day trip to Hawaii (About 3 days on each island) to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Kauai was my favorite because everything shuts down at like 10 pm and it's super dense with forests and foliage. The food was amazing, we went to an authentic luau (basically a traditional Hawaiin cookout) in this guy's backyard, which was huge. My favorite food was the Kalua pig with this purple dipping sauce that I cannot remember the name of.

Honorable mention is Vegas... yes there's plenty of debauchery in Vegas if that's your flavor but there are SO many cool things to do in Vegas that don't involve gambling and/or drinking.

So do you guys have a favorite place you love to travel to or just good travel stories in general?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: Where's your favorite place to travel to?
(February 22, 2019 at 2:54 am)PRJA93 Wrote: So I love to travel... I love to try new foods and meet new people and see new places. When I visit somewhere I try to travel a little bit off the beaten path, so to speak. Meeting locals is always a good way to get an "in" into the local culture. It's not always easy but I've always been able to connect with people somewhat naturally so I usually end up having some cool stories.

My favorite place I've been so far is Kauai, Hawaii. I did a ten day trip to Hawaii (About 3 days on each island) to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Kauai was my favorite because everything shuts down at like 10 pm and it's super dense with forests and foliage. The food was amazing, we went to an authentic luau (basically a traditional Hawaiin cookout) in this guy's backyard, which was huge. My favorite food was the Kalua pig with this purple dipping sauce that I cannot remember the name of.

Honorable mention is Vegas... yes there's plenty of debauchery in Vegas if that's your flavor but there are SO many cool things to do in Vegas that don't involve gambling and/or drinking.

So do you guys have a favorite place you love to travel to or just good travel stories in general?

Hawaii, for me too. If I were to ever go back I might just stay even if it meant living on the beaches in a tent, the place is amazing.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Have done a bit of travelling, within Australia and overseas Don't have one favourite, but several places I love.

Within Australia: The South West Coast of Western Australia. First you drive across the Nullabor Plain . Turn South at Norseman, and you will find an area largely unknown to a lot of Aussies.; a couple of small, pretty coastal cities . Large areas of old growth hardwoods, largely destroyed by logging , but still look beautiful from the road.. A large wine growing industry, with excellent wines. Artist colonies sprinkled through the Denmark and Margaret River Areas.

I've driven across Nullabor and back twice. If such a long drive is daunting, the Indian Pacific Railway will get you there in comfort.From Sydney if you want.

"The Indian Pacific is an Australian passenger rail service that operates between Sydney, on the Pacific Ocean, and Perth, on the Indian Ocean.[2] It is one of the few truly transcontinental trains in the world. The train first ran in February 1970 after the completion of gauge conversion projects in South and Western Australia. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Pacific

The south coast of Western Australia comprises the Western Australian coastline from Cape Leeuwin to Eucla. This is a distance of approximately 1,600 kilometres (1,000 mi), fronting the Great Australian Bight and the Southern Ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_coas..._Australia

Overseas: Been to Hong Kong more than any other city. Have always loved it for great shopping, great food and excellent, relatively cheap hotels .Haven't been for some years. I understand that Shanghai has overtaken Hong Kong in many ways.

Paris is the most beautiful city I've ever visited. Great place to just walk around. Speaking Frenchs is a real advantage. The Parisians I met didn't seem to like tourists even a bit.

London is the most fascinating city I've been to. The Place is arse deep in history ,and there are heaps of great museums, art galleries and gardens. Also terrific beer. If you try no other, try Guinness.

Very hard to get lost in London as long as you can get to the underground. I love the place; tip: if you go , get accommodation well out of London. (10 miles or more) You can get special deals on trains, you just need to ask, or check online before you go.------ Last time, I stayed with friends in Cambridge, which is 70 miles (112 km) from London; 45 minutes by express train. An interesting trip. Especially liked the nice lady with a trolly. She sold OK sandwiches and beer.

As I said ,my favourites vary.
I used to have this special magical place that I would sometimes go to and just hang out for a few weeks at a time. I sometimes wonder if it is still there, since I haven't been to it in almost 30 years. It wasn't just a place. It was a particular hotel. It was the hotel Delores Alba in Merida on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Back then, I traveled a lot and the Delores Alba was where I went when I really just needed to relax and not be so crazy. It was the most perfect place in the world to relax with a cup of coffee and the morning's newspaper. I can't even describe what was so special about it. It was an inexpensive family owned place. It was a very nice, old, and well maintained building. The family that owned and operated the place was very pleasant. It was typical southern Mexico Architecture with the rooms surrounding a beautiful central courtyard. There was nothing about it that you can describe as being so special, and yet it was. The place had a lot of repeat business, and those of us who liked to stay there felt sort of like the place was our little secret. It was just a one minute walk from the central square of the city. Merida itself is a magical city where it is just so easy to relax and enjoy yourself. And if you feel like getting out of the city for a bit, the incredible Mayan ruins of Chitzen Itza are a fantastic daytrip from there. And if you want to take a couple of days in the more trendy places like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cozomel, then that's not very far away either.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Home.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Ullapool in the highlands of Scotland.

And the German or Austrian alps.
I hate flying, not because of the waiting in line, but turbulence. 

Having said that, I'd have to say two of my most favorite places I have been have been Japan and Australia.
There's a little town half an hour up the coast from Mackay in Queensland, Australia, called Seaforth.
My family owned a beach house there for all of my youth and I lived there as an adult for a few years.
There's about three hundred houses, a store, an RSL bowls club and a council caravan park.
The beach is lined with palm trees and looking inland from the beach there are volcanic peaks dotted along the tree line.
One end of the beach finishes in a river mouth of a mangrove swamp where it's shallow enough to drag net and the catch is always bountiful.
The other end causeways out to an Rocky Island with caves, which in turn causeways out to another Island, knee deep, for only six hours, that has a trail leading high up to it's peak where an old WWII lookout post remains.
During the non holiday period the town is almost deserted and all you can hear is the rustling of palm fronds and the waves crashing.
I go there usually once a year. I have a strong connection to the place, my dad's ashes where released here.

So yeah, that's my favourite place to travel to.

ASDA.
(February 22, 2019 at 8:32 am)Little lunch Wrote: There's a little town half an hour up the coast from Mackay in Queensland, Australia, called Seaforth.
My family owned a beach house there for all of my youth and I lived there as an adult for a few years.
There's about three hundred houses, a store, an RSL bowls club and a council caravan park.
The beach is lined with palm trees and looking inland from the beach there are volcanic peaks dotted along the tree line.
One end of the beach finishes in a river mouth of a mangrove swamp where it's shallow enough to drag net and the catch is always bountiful.
The other end causeways out to an Rocky Island with caves, which in turn causeways out to another Island, knee deep, for only six hours, that has a trail leading high up to it's peak where an old WWII lookout post remains.
During the non holiday period the town is almost deserted and all you can hear is the rustling of palm fronds and the waves crashing.
I go there usually once a year. I have a strong connection to the place, my dad's ashes where released here.

So yeah, that's my favourite place to travel to.

The Islands around Victoria Point, and waterways are amazing, and Vicky Point is too.  Brisbane has to be one of my favorite cities. Extremely clean and safe and beautiful lights at night. 

And while I am not a fan of rural settings, I did love seeing Glass Mt, although you'd never get me to go to the top of it.  Erwin's zoo was awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who's your favorite serial killer? Foxaèr 9 655 October 6, 2022 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What's your favorite Weather app? Jehanne 13 1118 July 20, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite species. Brian37 43 1989 August 11, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Your favorite meat approximation? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1592 August 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes chimp3 37 3903 May 6, 2020 at 11:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Your favorite type of Dog Docto021 23 1501 May 6, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Sal
  I love this place, you fucking punks J a c k 22 1691 October 5, 2018 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your all-time favorite hallucination? Gawdzilla Sama 43 2815 September 29, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What's Your Favorite Bird Amarok 65 6658 July 24, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your favorite fruit? Foxaèr 64 9539 April 24, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet