Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Travel Thread - U.S. Version
The Travel Thread - U.S. Version
Riding on Cinjin's enthusiasm, I'm opening a "travel thread" so those of us here in the states who are actually interested in meeting face-to-face can plot things out.

We have a usermap function on the top menu bar that I highly recommend people put themselves on. You don't have to pinpoint your exact location - just your general whereabouts. It's useful in plotting out how far away we all are...and just damn cool to see how international this site is. Smile

Anyway, I'll start: I'm based in Charlotte, NC. I can drive 6-7 hours in just about any direction, starting at about noon on Fridays. I prefer crashing with someone, because gas money alone will kill me, or going somewhere that has an incredibly cheap motel. On that note, places it is easy for me to get to: I have friends and family in Northern VA, should any of you get an incredible urge to go visit our great nation's capital. I also have family in Louisville, KY and wouldn't mind going out there.

I'll be in Baltimore on the weekend of October 22 for this, in case anyone who lives around there (if they do) is interested in getting drinks Sat night or breakfast Sunday morning.

We mentioned that we'd need to make long-term plans to allow everyone to gather money, resources, take time off, etc. In that spirit, I'd like to mention that Adrian and I have been saying almost since we've met that it would be wonderful if some of us could meet for Dragon*con. This year it happens on Labor Day weekend and there's no way in hell either of us could afford it. However, if we're all still friends this time next year...maybe we can shoot for it? I also plan to be at TAM (The Amazing Meeting) next year. These tend to be huge nerdy gatherings with lots of fellow atheists and science (or science fiction) nuts and I can't think of a better backdrop.

That said, just put in a shout out if you're interested in meeting up, with where you live and where you're willing to go and for how long. We'll try to accommodate as many people as we can and work out something that best fits time and budgets.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: The Travel Thread - U.S. Version
I'm in the Portland Oregon area, and I can drive as far as Vancouver BC to the north, the SF bay area to the south, or Boise ID to the east. Or pretty much anywhere I can fly relatively cheap.
(August 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I'd like to mention that Adrian and I have been saying almost since we've met that it would be wonderful if some of us could meet for Dragon*con. This year it happens on Labor Day weekend and there's no way in hell either of us could afford it. However, if we're all still friends this time next year...maybe we can shoot for it? I also plan to be at TAM (The Amazing Meeting) next year. These tend to be huge nerdy gatherings with lots of fellow atheists and science (or science fiction) nuts and I can't think of a better backdrop.

That said, just put in a shout out if you're interested in meeting up, with where you live and where you're willing to go and for how long. We'll try to accommodate as many people as we can and work out something that best fits time and budgets.

I like the idea of having an event to meet at. Good idea. I think I will remain flexible on where I can and can't meet since we're going to need at least a couple people willing to take a little extra drive time. (And I'm comfortable traveling to unknown places)

I'll repost this pic of my own preference, but should everyone want to meet outside that area, I may be persuaded.

[Image: usmap.jpg]

Those who are interested, even if you're in the wrong part of the country should speak up - cause maybe we can set up two of these things. See CHEERS thread to see how this all started.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Summer, you're a fantasy buff? More reasons to like you every day!

I would like to meet you folk. If we do this right, and with some advance planning, I will fly out for a weekend.

And I am SO down for Dragon Con. Tolkien is my compass.
Trying to update my sig ...
I'm a selective nerd. I won't tell you if I've ever worn elf ears or not.
The chances of it being anywhere near me or anywhere I would be able to travel, given my responsibilities here, are slim. However, if it were something close by and I miraculously had a few days in a row to spare, I would be there. I'm in Mass. I would prefer to travel within New England, if time permitted as much as that.
So, after we try doing the South, we march North to meet you the next time 'round.
...sounds like the Battles of Bull Run all over again.
Get a few of us together, and it will be called the Prattle of Bullshit Run.
Cinjins circle is pretty close to my own range.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where's your favorite place to travel to? EgoDeath 21 2077 March 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4129 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8768 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  CIJS, TV version vorlon13 14 1671 July 25, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  About Syria A Travel Question for Northern and Eastern Europeans Jenny A 6 1396 September 29, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Can you recommend any ultra lite travel trailers? Whateverist 24 2943 September 9, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Mibile Version of My Spoken Word Poetry Journal Rhondazvous 2 1160 July 17, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  CliffsNotes Version of Big Problem with American Legal System festive1 0 937 August 8, 2013 at 8:38 am
Last Post: festive1
  The importance of travel CapnAwesome 12 2548 December 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Chrome is at version 5, is Google a slut? theVOID 14 3825 February 12, 2010 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Chocobo