Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 12, 2013 at 4:25 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(February 12, 2013 at 4:11 am)catfish Wrote: You keep asking me. Make a statement instead.
If someone wants to believe that the Bible is infallible, I ask why? Because someone else said to?
You implied the Bible was infallible, I want to know why you would imply that or why you think others would imply that. When someone feeds you the "all scripture is inspired blah blah blah", do you see that as a command to believe everything? Or do you make up your own mind? I can accept that verse literally and still acknowledge the Bible has errors...

You know what, I'll let you in on a secret. I'm a closet Christian. I believe that murder is wrong just like the Bible says. I believe that turning the other cheek is usually the best thing to do when in conflict with someone. There are things about me that are reflected in scripture, which means I undeniably believe in those portions of scripture.

Now that the truth about me is out there, I might as well keep going. I'm also a closet Taoist. I acknowledge the polar opposites of this world like night & day, life & death, male & female etc...

Buddhism makes sense to me because my real experiences of deja vu indicate to me that I have been reincarnated before.

Do you see some sort of pattern here? Our beliefs are bound to be found in superstitious scribblings of less civilized people. To then go further and idolize those scribblings to the extent of relabelling things according to those scribblings (e.g. intellectual dissonance -> demons) is your choice. My advice to you is to simply let go of the book. There's nothing miraculous about finding your values/morals to be reflected in scripture. Religions of the world don't have a monopoly on values/morality/experiences/philosophy. Just let go and be you.

I'm not labeling them demons, the people who believe in them do that. "Evil" thoughts are something everyone has and they come from within no matter what you name them. When you think to yourself, do you hear your own voice? Same thing in my eyes but how can I be sure someone isn't picking up electrical interference or that spirits aren't real?

I am me, always have been, always will be. I too see my beliefs reflected in a lot of things and all paths really do lead to God. I'm not holding onto anything, I have no idols, no texts, no rituals, no requirements except to be good.

Does it really bother you that I can read the Bible and interpret it as we are all connected and everyone gets "saved"? Does it bother you that I reject Jesus' sacrifice and still am a Christian? Does it bother you that I have a God that I do not know and cannot prove? Does it bother you that I'm attempting to get people to make up their own minds instead of listening to other people? Does it bother you when I use the Bible to debunk what I see as "evil" or outright lies/mistakes in the Bible?

It bothers me that people have enough hate to believe in hell and call it righteous... I hate seeing human sacrifice being portrayed as good. I loathe the so-called "holy spirit" that convinces people this crap is good (which I'm sure is only because of peer pressure). People actually do swear that they feel the "presence" of the holy spirit... It bothers me when a "logical" person who claims to not believe in the Bible, would fight me tooth and nail on the definition of aeonian... Really, why the Hades would anyone fight that point? To keep the reason to hate the Bible? To save pride by denying they could have been wrong or fooled?

So again, I don't need the book. I have never needed it and never will. I am me and when I see "evil" I speak up or take action. The message in the book is basicaly the same message that has been told through many different people, the same message I was born with.

"James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Seriously now, what is wrong with that??? ^^^^

Messages In This Thread
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus - by catfish - February 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 557 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3122 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13328 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6063 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22410 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2417 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5741 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127079 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8241 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich