Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy?
Question 
Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy?
A question for Christians.

Exorcism of demons is mentioned in several Bible verses, and I know most Christians would say that's because demon possession is a real phenomenon. However, most Christians in developed nations no longer attribute all manner of diseases, especially neurological diseases like epilepsy and psychotic illnesses, to demons in the vast majority of cases. So presumably, most of you believe that most sufferers of such conditions who are having torturous and sometimes deadly exorcisms performed on them in Africa, by people pointing to Jesus' healing of demon-possessed people who were symptomatically indistinguishable from epileptics, are not possessed and should see doctors instead.

So why did God allow verses like that to end up in the Bible without clarifying that a) it's not always demons (or the result of sin, a related belief about some illnesses that people get from the Bible) and b) if you must exorcise a demon, don't hurt the person. He knew toddlers would be getting tortured to death as a result of the miracles as they are described in the New Testament, right? 
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
RE: Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy?
Uhm... Because he's a prick, who enjoys child-abuse? Either that, or he doesn't exist. I forget which...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Better ask where that stupid belief came from. In the Greek and Roman world, often times it was considered a sign that the person suffering from epilepsy was touched by the gods and therefore blessed. Julius Caesar, for example, was suffering from epilepsy. And as with everything in life, pagan scholars were far more advanced than the ensuing christian stupidity worship. Some of them rightly assumed it to be an ailment of the brain and that it could be treated, given the right procedures.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Because teh gays?
Sum ergo sum
(May 1, 2015 at 3:39 am)Razzle Wrote: A question for Christians.

Exorcism of demons is mentioned in several Bible verses, and I know most Christians would say that's because demon possession is a real phenomenon. However, most Christians in developed nations no longer attribute all manner of diseases, especially neurological diseases like epilepsy and psychotic illnesses, to demons in the vast majority of cases. So presumably, most of you believe that most sufferers of such conditions who are having torturous and sometimes deadly exorcisms performed on them in Africa, by people pointing to Jesus' healing of demon-possessed people who were symptomatically indistinguishable from epileptics, are not possessed and should see doctors instead.

So why did God allow verses like that to end up in the Bible without clarifying that a) it's not always demons (or the result of sin, a related belief about some illnesses that people get from the Bible) and b) if you must exorcise a demon, don't hurt the person. He knew toddlers would be getting tortured to death as a result of the miracles as they are described in the New Testament, right? 

I can guess at the answers of most Christians on this site

1. We live in a fallen world so humans are the cause of everything

2. God is testing those parents

3. Punishment for something

4. It is the will of god

5. Another argument that goes in circles
Good point. I doubt any christian can offer a reasonable justification for this.

Gods ability to "heal" is entirely limited by our own ability to heal, and to understand what we are healing. If we don't understand it and think it's a demon, apparently so does God.

Back in reality, this is simply a reflection of the ignorance of the time which sadly has carried over even now to some people.

More evidence that no amazing intelligence was involved in the writing of this book, unless it's one that means to disrupt and deceive.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This is exactly what got me questioning my faith in god and ultimately coming to my senses.

I have a mental illness and relied upon god to help me.  Overtime I when I went through an episode, I thought that I was being punished for something I had done.  That combined with severe depression is not a good combination.  In hindsight, what infuriates me is that people would tell me god will only give you as much as you can take.  Are you fucking kidding me?  First question...WHY?  Next question short of killing myself how the fuck did they know what my threshold for suffering is?

My pastor took me to an actual person who claimed to cast out demons.  It really freaked me out and I declined.  He was so mad, he told me I wasted his valuable time.

Since I have decided to rely on myself, I don't have to fear if I am a bad person, I can just focus on getting better.  

BTW this has been the best year I have had in a long time!  
It's wonderful to hear that Polar Smile

Yes, telling someone who is mentally ill (which I am too) that they are demon possessed, evil, or deserve it is horrific and harmful. Even worse is the fact that when it doesn't work (exorcism or whatever bullshit) you'll get the blame for not believing enough.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The Bible doesn't attribute all illness to demons as is commonly charged.

Matt 4

Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them.

Matt 10

1 And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.

Mark 1

34 Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him.

Demon possession is clearly not synonymous with disease.
[/url]
Quote:[url=http://biblia.com/bible/esv/Matthew%2017.14%E2%80%9318]Matthew 17:14–18says, “When they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, ‘Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him.’ And Jesus answered, ‘O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me.’ And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly”

The OP would like to know why a god-who knows everything- wouldn't know that sincere humans would use such verses to harm epileptic children because they thought such kids were demon possessed? Why not add a clarifying verse or two?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 563 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3142 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13089 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19024 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1682 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1663 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 2490 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5844 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8486 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9082 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII