Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do moderates think Jesus died for?
What do moderates think Jesus died for?
Many moderates believe there is no Hell, the story of Adam and Eve is purely metaphorical and that Jesus doesn't suffer for our sins. Then WTF did he let himself get killed? According to the story he had divine powers and would've been able to escape, but chose not to. Some say he didn't fight, because he was peaceful, but if he had magic powers, he could've protected himself without hurting anybody. If he wanted to just teach some lessons, why didn't he leave right away or use some invisible shield or something? Why did he come on earth in the first place? Why didn't he use telepathy to communicate? Why did he leave?
Do these moderates actually believe that Jesus was just human?
There is another thing, my parents are moderates themselves and raised me christian, yet they never told me they interpretation to why Jesus let himself getting killed. They didn't tell me about many concepts of this religion that they believe in. Why? Having a wrong opinion is one thing, but having literally no structure when teaching said opinion to your only child is fucking ridiculous.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: What do moderates think Jesus died for?
"Victory over death" would be my guess. I doubt you'd get any answer as to what that actually means, or why an omnipotent deity was struggling with this issue (or any issue... given, you know, the omnipotence).
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
(January 6, 2019 at 7:09 am)Nihilist Virus Wrote: "Victory over death" would be my guess.  I doubt you'd get any answer as to what that actually means, or why an omnipotent deity was struggling with this issue (or any issue... given, you know, the omnipotence).

Really, it seems to me like the only reason those people call Jesus God is because they fear they can't be considered christians otherwise and they fear they might be judged by others.

Charlie Chaplin
Jesus was killed for precisely the same reason Socrates was killed - being a huge pain in the arse.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 6, 2019 at 7:39 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 6, 2019 at 7:09 am)Nihilist Virus Wrote: "Victory over death" would be my guess.  I doubt you'd get any answer as to what that actually means, or why an omnipotent deity was struggling with this issue (or any issue... given, you know, the omnipotence).

Really, it seems to me like the only reason those people call Jesus God is because they fear they can't be considered christians otherwise and they fear they might be judged by others.

They may also believe that God isn't omnipotent and humans screwed his message, but that raises the question why would he let himself get killed by roman soldiers in particular. And if there is the possibility of never returning after death, why risk it? Also why let people screw his sacred texts? free will? Well how about people who care about the truth, isn't their free will mishandled?

(January 6, 2019 at 7:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Jesus was killed for precisely the same reason Socrates was killed - being a huge pain in the arse.

Boru

At least Socrates's death was planned by the authorities, and not by himself followed by resurrection after 3 days.

Charlie Chaplin
(January 6, 2019 at 7:46 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 6, 2019 at 7:39 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Really, it seems to me like the only reason those people call Jesus God is because they fear they can't be considered christians otherwise and they fear they might be judged by others.

They may also believe that God isn't omnipotent and humans screwed his message, but that raises the question why would he let himself get killed by roman soldiers in particular. And if there is the possibility of never returning after death, why risk it? Also why let people screw his sacred texts? free will? Well how about people who care about the truth, isn't their free will mishandled?

(January 6, 2019 at 7:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Jesus was killed for precisely the same reason Socrates was killed - being a huge pain in the arse.

Boru

At least Socrates's death was planned by the authorities, and not by himself followed by resurrection after 3 days.

If Jesus planned it himself, then what was the point of his being arrested?  Jesus could have just thrown himself under the first passing oxcart.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 6, 2019 at 8:51 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If Jesus planned it himself, then what was the point of his being arrested?  Jesus could have just thrown himself under the first passing oxcart.

Boru

I heard people say it was to prove the romans way of punishement wrong. So he proves it wrong by letting it happen to him? There were plenty cases of people being killed by law, so why didn't he just stick to calling them wrong?

Charlie Chaplin

Boru

The motif of the underdog causing problems and becoming a martyr is far older than the Jesus mythology, and this is another example.

Hero mythology is far older than the bible.
(January 6, 2019 at 9:15 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 6, 2019 at 8:51 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If Jesus planned it himself, then what was the point of his being arrested?  Jesus could have just thrown himself under the first passing oxcart.

Boru

I heard people say it was to prove the romans way of punishement wrong. So he proves it wrong by letting it happen to him? There were plenty cases of people being killed by law, so why didn't he just stick to calling them wrong?

Yes, I've heard that before, and it's rubbish. Crucifixion was a comparatively rare punishment at the time of Jesus and was reserved for the worst classes of criminal, rarely used on free provincials (such as Jesus) and never used on Roman citizens.  If Jesus had wanted to make a point about the severity of Roman punishment, he would have arranged to have himself whipped to death.

Boru
(January 6, 2019 at 3:07 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Many moderates believe there is no Hell, the story of Adam and Eve is purely metaphorical and that Jesus doesn't suffer for our sins. Then WTF did he let himself get killed? According to the story he had divine powers and would've been able to escape, but chose not to. Some say he didn't fight, because he was peaceful, but if he had magic powers, he could've protected himself without hurting anybody. If he wanted to just teach some lessons, why didn't he leave right away or use some invisible shield or something? Why did he come on earth in the first place? Why didn't he use telepathy to communicate? Why did he leave?
Do these moderates actually believe that Jesus was just human?
There is another thing, my parents are moderates themselves and raised me christian, yet they never told me they interpretation to why Jesus let himself getting killed. They didn't tell me about many concepts of this religion that they believe in. Why? Having a wrong opinion is one thing, but having literally no structure when teaching said opinion to your only child is fucking ridiculous.

You are correct that the moderate story doesn't hold together, but neither does the fundamentalist story.  We are supposed to believe that God offered himself as a sacrifice to prevent himself from throwing people into Hell because of the original sin of Adam and Eve.  What kind of sense does that make?  How is original sin a rational idea? Plus God could could have just forgiven humans outright, or admitted his own mistake in creating them to begin with.

In my opinion, any Christian interpretation of the Bible sweeps certain problems under the rug.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are some moderates insistent on religious rituals? Der/die AtheistIn 18 1386 February 5, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Moderates make me feel happy Der/die AtheistIn 9 1984 December 10, 2017 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2161 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What if Jesus died for his own sins? Nihilist Virus 32 5502 August 27, 2016 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6038 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What Happened to the Non Jews Who Died Before Jesus Came? Nope 66 14054 March 30, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7224 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Do you think jesus christ existed ShinobiAtheist 125 29679 January 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 221837 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Famous People who have Praised God and Died michaelsherlock 22 12138 April 24, 2012 at 1:03 am
Last Post: radorth