Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 17, 2013 at 11:38 am)ThomM Wrote: BUT -as I note - you still post NO PROOF - and that it remains that the christ is a MYTH - just as the other supernatural gods claimed are.

This current discussion isn't about whether Jesus actually existed - it's about whether Tacitus's account is authentic or a forgery.

The topic has the title "For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus" because I was asking people to come up with suggestions for how Christianity got started when Jesus is pure myth. I had a go at this myself and came up with an idea. Why don't you have a go as well instead of repeating that Tacitus and Pliny don't prove that Jesus really existed? Smile

(February 17, 2013 at 11:45 am)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/josephus-etal.html

Ultraviolet photo of a critical word from the earliest known extant manuscript of Tacitus (second Medicean, Laurentian library, Italy).

You might also want to click on the link of Zara's discussion.

Yes, I know about it because I already replied to this point in another post somewhere. I also clicked on the link to Zara's discussion and read it.

The problem I have with this is only the word Chrestianos was changed, not the word Christus as well. (Zara points this out himself.) Zara also says the following which indicates that everything is a bit inconclusive -

Quote:For which intent and by whom the letter “e” was altered, we will probably never know for certain. We only know that the scribe originally wrote about Chrestianos, “Chrestians”, which could have been just a spelling error, but, as Fuchs says 14 : «even if this change was made already by the copyist, the original 'e' does not lose its meaning. In that case the copyist, which Andresen has explained, could very well have found the form "chrestianos" in his original, and by himself changed the strange "e" into the familiar "i".» (my translation)

Anyway, I went to the Seutonius section on Jesus Never Existed com

Quote:It should also be noted that Suetonius does not associate punishment of the Christians with the fire that swept Rome, a crucial part of the later myth.

Quite simply, the reference is a Christian forgery, added to Suetonius to backup the work of the 5th century forger Sulpicius Severus, who heavily doctored the work of another Roman historian – Tacitus – with a lurid tale of brutal persecution ('torched Christian martyrs') which immortalized Nero as the first Antichrist in the eyes of the Christian church

The website owner gives links about Tertullian (quoted by Eusebius) who said that Christians were persecuted under Nero. It's possible that Sulpicious Severus forged the entire Tacitus passage but somebody adding a line to Suetonius which doesn't mention the fire didn't make much of a backup.

I'm now quoting Tacitus again - some translations just use the word executed.

Quote:Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus

If Severus forged this, why didn't he say crucified because Lucian of Samosata c 160 used this word? (I haven't double checked that he's the first one because I'm really tired - I'll look into it tomorrow.) Celsus, writing c 180 (which I haven't double checked either) used the name Jesus which Severus would have known about as well seeing as he lived in the 5th century. Why didn't he add that detail? After all, if he was capable of forging the description of what Nero supposedly did to the Christians, surely he was capable of getting the name Jesus into it unless he thought that would be overkill.

(February 17, 2013 at 11:45 am)Minimalist Wrote: The truth may be that there was an original gnostic cult following a personified virtue, "Jesus Chrestos" (Jesus the Good). Consequently, they were called Chrestians, an appellation which seems to have attached itself at an early date to the sectarians of the "heretic" Marcion.

I think we can be fairly certain about one thing, though. If Severus forged the passage in the 5th century to make people believe that Christians were being persecuted in Nero's reign, it's unlikely that he'd have used the word chrestianos instead of christianos. Why would he want to say that Nero had persecuted the sectarians of a gnostic cult when gnosticism had been declared a heresy?

The website owner also says -

Quote:Even St Paul himself makes not a single reference to 'Christians' in any of his writings.

So little were Christ-worshippers known in the Roman world that as late as the 90s Dio Cassio refers to 'atheists' and 'those adopting Jewish manners'. Christians as a distinct group from the Jews appear only late in the 1st century, not long before the Jewish curse on heretics at the council of Jamnia (around 85 AD). The label 'Christian' itself only appears with the 2nd century Acts – with the story that the term 'began in Antioch' (11.26).

I looked up when Judaism and Christianity started splitting although I only got as far as wikipedia. Split Of Early Christianity and Judaism

Quote:The split between Pharisaic/Rabbinic Judaism and Early/Proto-orthodox Christianity was a slowly growing chasm between Christians and Jews in the first centuries of the Christian Era. It is commonly attributed to a number of events said to be pivotal: the antithesis of the law and rejection of Jesus c. 30, the Council of Jerusalem c. 50, the destruction of the Second Temple and institution of the Jewish tax in 70, the postulated Council of Jamnia c. 90, or the Bar Kokhba revolt of 132–135. On the one hand, while it is commonly thought that Paul established a Gentile church within his lifetime, it took centuries for a complete break to manifest, and the relationship of Paul of Tarsus and Judaism is still disputed

So maybe nobody called them Christians in 64 AD or maybe some people did because it was after the Council of Jerusalem. Or maybe Tacitus called them Christians because he got the word from his friend, Pliny.

I then went to the article's section on Pliny.

Quote:Around 112 AD, in correspondence between Emperor Trajan and the provincial governor of Pontus/Bithynia, Pliny the Younger, reference is made to Christians for the first time. Pliny famously reports to his emperor:

This is well before the Bar Korba revolt of 132-135 AD so I think we can leave that out of it.

At the end of all this you choose to believe the scholars who say the passage in Tacitus is forged. I continue to think that it might be authentic while most modern scholars regard the passage as being authentic. One thing is certain, though - if the Tacitus passage is authentic it's no threat to atheism because it doesn't prove that a divine being who rose from the dead actually existed.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 557 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3126 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13359 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6072 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22506 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2419 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5747 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127372 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8248 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich