Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't have time to reply to this right now ( busy day) but this is nothing but xtian tradition.

I know it's nothing more than Christian tradition but I thought that part of this discussion was about how Christian tradition developed over the centuries. 5th Century Severus wrote that Peter and Paul had been martyred even though Clement of Rome who's supposed to have died in AD 99 probably didn't say it - there's a different translation to the one you quoted but I'll get to that in a minute.

(February 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm)Minimalist Wrote: In Clement of Rome's First Epistle - and Clement of Rome was probably a later fiction himself! - he (or whoever) writes.

5:4 Peter, through unjust envy, endured not one or two but many labours, and at last, having delivered his testimony, departed unto the place of glory due to him.

That's the general translation but the Roberts-Donaldson one says something different about Peter and Paul.

Quote:Let us set before our eyes the illustrious apostles. Peter, through unrighteous envy, endured not one or two, but numerous labours, and when he had finally suffered martyrdom, departed to the place of glory due to him. Owing to envy, Paul also obtained the reward of patient endurance, after being seven times thrown into captivity, compelled to flee, and stoned. After preaching both in the east and west, he gained the illustrious reputation due to his faith, having taught righteousness to the whole world, and come to the extreme limit of the west, and suffered martyrdom under the prefects

Somebody called J B Lightfoot wrote about Clement and said -

Quote:But more precise and definite facts are contained elsewhere respecting the earlier and more severe assault on the Christians in the latter years
of the reign of Nero, where reference is made especially to the martyrdoms of St. Peter and St. Paul.

As I don't know Latin I can't check the untranslated text of the Epistle and see what it actually says for myself. My guess is that some people could have been influenced by what Severus said at the end of his description of Nero's spectacle.

Quote:It was in this way that cruelty first began to be manifested against the Christians. Afterward, too, their religion was prohibited by laws which were given, and by edicts openly set forth it was proclaimed unlawful to be a Christian. At that time Paul and Peter were condemned to capital punishment, of whom the one was beheaded with a sword, while Peter suffered crucifixion.

The way he worded it suggests that Peter and Paul were supposed to have been martyred after the fictitious laws were introduced. I just think it odd that anyone forging the Tacitus passage didn't jump at the chance to hint that Peter was crucified during the spectacle.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 558 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3128 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13370 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6079 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22515 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2420 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5747 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127497 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8254 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich