Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 1:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 21, 2013 at 6:24 am)Justtristo Wrote: These days I personally subscribe to the view that Jesus started off as a mythical character who later got made into a historical character. Earl Doherty proposes this hypothesis in the Jesus Puzzle.

Does Earl Doherty suggest how Christianity got started round a mythical character? People who heard the myth and believed in it must have formed a religious sect. Where was the original sect and when was it formed?

I looked Earl Doherty up and found this - (I'm quoting it because of who said it.)

Quote:Doherty on the other hand has received strong criticism for his work. Bart Ehrman, an expert on textual criticism of the NT and Early Christianity, has dismissed Jesus, Neither God nor Man as "filled with so many unguarded and undocumented statements and claims, and so many misstatements of fact, that it would take a 2,400-page book to deal with all the problems...Not a single early Christian source supports Doherty's claim that Paul and those before him thought of Jesus as a spiritual, not a human being, who was executed in the spiritual, not the earthly realm."[19]

(February 21, 2013 at 6:24 am)Justtristo Wrote: Because as I have stated earlier this reaction is because these people know all very well (unless they are idiots) that the historical evidence for the existence of Jesus, let along attesting to the events in the New Testament is sparse and of dubious reliability.

According to wikipedia, most modern scholars seem to think there was a real man behind the myth and so they dismiss the pure myth theory. What I'm trying to do is track down some of these modern scholars to see if they could have an agenda for taking the attitude that Jesus wasn't a myth. Bart Ehrman, for example, has written books on New Testament forgeries and contradictions as well as books where he says there was an historical Jesus. I can't help wondering if he's someone who analyzes texts to suit whichever book he's writing at the time.

It's the same with the question of whether the Pliny/Trajan letters are authentic. I've come across arguments for them being forgeries and a couple of good arguments in articles for them being genuine. The real problem is finding neutral analyses because Christians want them to be authentic while people like Kenneth Humphries want everything to be a fake. They're as bad as each other in my opinion.

(February 21, 2013 at 6:24 am)Justtristo Wrote: As the Minimalist has pointed out time and time again the references to Jesus in the works of Josephus and Tacitus may well have been later forgeries. Which would mean the earliest attestations to Jesus existing are in the later part of the 2nd century or more than 100 years after Jesus supposedly died.

I haven't looked into Josephus because I'm still on the trail of that Tacitus passage. People who say it's a forgery talk about chrestianos being changed to christianos and how Severus's account of Nero's spectacle is very similar but nobody I've found, as yet, has tackled the insulting comments that Tacitus supposedly made about Christians. It's like they have a blind spot where that part of the passage is concerned.

Maybe the insults are authentic because, in the original text, Nero fastened the guilt on the Christians, confiscated their property if it hadn't been lost in the fire and then banished them. This would tie in better with Suetonius's report of Christians being punished in an unspecified way.

Then there's the arguments themselves. Christian writers not referring to Nero's spectacle is suspect. High ranking pagan Romans not going on about it as if was the sensation of the age isn't suspect in my opinion. I found a biography of Pliny The Younger

Quote:Domitian was impressed, and allowed Pliny to become praetor (a juridical function) without the the prescribed year's interval. This was a new sign of imperial favor.

Later, Pliny would call the year of his praetorship and the following years the most difficult of his life.

Pliny felt that he was in a very difficult position. Some of his friends belonged to the stoic opposition, but he himself had to serve the emperor.

At the end of 93, Domitian acted against the opposition. Herennius Senecio and several others were rounded up and killed, others were sent into exile. Besides Herennius, two of Pliny's friends were put to death, and four banished.

A decade later, he wrote:
I stood amidst the flames of thunderbolts dropping all round me, and there were certain clear indications to make me suppose a like end was awaiting me.

Why would men like Pliny regard stories of Nero killing low ranking Christians as being more important than their own experiences during Domitian's reign?
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 558 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3128 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13370 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6079 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22515 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2420 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5747 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127497 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8254 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich