Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am)Confused Ape Wrote:
(February 22, 2013 at 5:30 am)EGross Wrote: What Minimalist might be suggested is that during the first 2-3 centuries, the Christian communities grew up as autonomous fifedomes.

It would only be with Constantine that all of this would change, a unification, and so someone who believed that Jesus was akin to Hercules would be hard pressed to relate to the Christianity that came after Constantine (which Emperor Julian, who came after him, tried to dismantle, but failed. All hail Zeus!).

Pagan Romans wouldn't have bothered to study the differences in beliefs that the various Christian sects had. They would have just called all followers of these sects Christians the same as we refer to all followers of today's 40,000 different denominations as Christians.

It's unlikely that there were a lot of different sects in Nero's day because Christianity hadn't been around for long. I don't think early Christianity being different from later Christianity is a good reason to suspect there were no Christians at all in Nero's Rome.

Ah, good point. Although, you do have Pauls Epistles where chastises the leaders of other groups for contaminating their teachings by using Jewish symbolism. So we know that, if you hold these were written by Paul, there was some variations going on. If not, we can hold that it was at a later time.

(February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am)Confused Ape Wrote:
(February 22, 2013 at 5:30 am)EGross Wrote: I would also suggest that if a Jew today could get on a Tardis and whoosh himself to the time of King David (when there also was no temple), that it would be a completely foreign Judaism in most cases (today, he would probably be seen as a zealot who took on all kinds of non-Jewish traditions). Never mind that the Hebrew would be different, but they still might be able to communicate.

The TARDIS has a telepathic translation circuit so travellers would be able to communicate.

You get a thumbs up for that one!

(February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am)Confused Ape Wrote: A modern Jew would be able to learn the differences and see that David's kingdom wasn't as great as tradition makes it out to be.

If you walk through the "City of David" Archeological site, you get the see how crude the place really was. They did, however, have what appeared to have a stone toilet with a run-off! If I were a king, I would certainly have wanted one of those! They also found the tunnels as described when they needed to escape through an aqueduct system. But being 6' tall, I had to duck just about everywhere I went.

The big time was during Solomon, when he put people into slavery, taxed them to death, was the richest man in the world ruling over the poorest. The place was supposedly magnificent then. And the Jewish sages, to speak of his end saying in a Midrash: "He left his throne to wander through his kingdom, and in his place sat a demon." - Meaning, he sure wasn't what he started out to be.
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders

Messages In This Thread
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus - by EGross - February 22, 2013 at 7:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 557 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3122 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13328 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6063 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22410 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2417 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5741 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127079 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8241 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich