Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(February 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: If Marcion c.85 – c.160. invented Paul, how did the teachings of a Jewish sect get taken to the Gentiles? I had a go at inventing Fred just to see if I could come up with an idea about how Christianity could have got started without a Jesus or a Paul. I found no Jesus easier to explain than no Paul so I had to resort to somebody Paul could have been based on.

I'm not arguing that Marcion invented Paul. I am questioning whether or not Paul wrote anything consistent with Trinitarian beliefs. How much was added later?

We do know that Paul's authorship of some of the epistles attributed to him is questionable. Roughly half of them are considered to be of questionable authenticity. Interpolation was also a problem and it's reasonable to question how much has been changed.

We do know:
  1. Paul was the poster boy for Marcionite Christianity.
  2. Marcionite scripture primarily included Paul's epistles
  3. Paul in Acts was later reworked as a character to be submissive to other church authorities. His passive nature sits oddly alongside his bombastic epistles where he felt like he answered to no one but Christ.
Now, remember the church habit of incorporating the prophets of other religions. The Christians did this with the Mandeans, followers of John the Baptist. The Mandeans were rivals of the early Christians and yet the Gospels depict their messiah groveling at the feet of Jesus. That's how it works. Icons of a victorious church always wind up with the icons of the losing church kneeling before them.

So what do you think? Do you believe that Paul pointed to Trinitarianism and Marcion hoped no one would notice? Or a later victorious church inserted a few choice words into the Pauline epistles we have today?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 674 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 557 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 3122 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 13332 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 6066 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 22420 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2418 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5741 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127083 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 8242 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich