Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado parents of transgender 1st-grader file complaint over restroom ban
RE: Colorado parents of transgender 1st-grader file complaint over restroom ban
(March 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm)apophenia Wrote: I'm not making an argument here, but I rather suspect that the idea that this separation of private spaces is simply a reflection of a prudish and immature society is a gross and inaccurate simplification. I have no idea what the science says on the question, but I rather suspect that the call to "abandon" our worries about exposing our nudity to either the public or members of the opposite sex (orientation, whatever) is less motivated by actual science and knowledge as much as it is by political or sexual ideology.

It's very likely that there is a human 'need' for privacy (of an extent), my concern is that people who are quite comfortable with their body and it's functions have to deal over-much with the sensibilities of those who would be offended by it ('so you're offended, so fucking what?'-fry). Some people are rather exhibitionistic... I wonder, that had I been born cis, if I would have been such a person.

I've argued that the likes of clothing reinforce feelings of shame (and they do) in some people... but so would visible hard-ons, or visibly hardening nipples and 'seeping' liquids. Really, I think there's some subjective terrain here, that is ruthelessly painted over with a single brush of 'what is culturally acceptable' and not (example, until 'recently': kissing one's homosexual lover in public may have been considered grossly culturally unacceptable). We can't really know where the political and cultural viewpoints on 'bathrooming' or public nudity (or even fucking in public) might end up in 20, 50, 100, 1000 years...

Quote:I guess I've come to the end of my rant. It came out more pear shaped than I had envisioned, but fuck it. I have places to be.
I may get a second opinion, but I'm worried that I'm not meeting my quota for raping straight-women in public restrooms.

gtg.

ROFLOL

(March 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm)Shell B Wrote: TEGH, it is not unlikely. Those gaps are massive in some places. I accidentally see shit all the time. I also suggest logic courses become mandatory for people who are going to pretend they know how to debate formally in this forum.

Because a course in logic is going to make a nonlogical person suddenly logical? Wink Not saying they wouldn't learn anything from it... but it's funny to me.

Anyway: structural problems with bathrooms. I've been uncomfortable about them for *years*, changing in the men's locker room (inside the stall, always), or using the men's and women's restrooms. I'll typically find me the stall with the gap at an odd angle from the toilet.

Has nothing to do with the gender, penises or vaginas or other people in the room... it's just horrid structural design, and it would be a minimal cost to do a better job.

Quote:Whateverist, I am savaging no one. I have no emotional horse in this race and do not care even remotely what other people think about it. It is highly unlikely that my preferred bathroom arrangement is going to change, so what do I have to be savage about?

Well... you're current bathroom arrangement already has transwomen in it (pre-op ones). It also has people infected with various STIs in it, sitting on the same toilet's you're going to be sitting on.

Of the two 'issues(?)', I'd consider the latter far more concerning, especially given the apparent unsanitary conditions of said bathroom. Heaven's forbid you grab the handle of the door with your digets, and touch your face near your mouth afterwards. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkPNXRaAHG0

Or more likely, herpes Big Grin

(March 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm)whateverist Wrote: So what are you saying .. you and Violet won't be mud wrestling then? *sighs with disappointment*

Not till I have a vagina of my own... but after the scars heal, I'm totally down for it Wink

(March 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm)Shell B Wrote: When you are post-op, you have the equipment for the ladies room. You're penis is not going to confuse anyone. Again, if you go back to my objections, it was about making it the norm for men to follow women into bathrooms and vice versa. I should point out the rape thing was not even at all my objection. It was a side note and I keep seeing it.

I have 'the equipment' for the ladies room right now... I've got a shitter, and I've got a urethra. Why do I need to have an additional hole for the explicit purpose of being fucked... to be considered 'ready to use the women's bathroom'? Why does someone need a shlong to use a stall in the men's room? Tongue

My penis is not going to confuse anyone, Shell... since nobody is going to be seeing it. And even if they did see it, and it did confuse them: why would their confusion matter? Are they going to hurt themselves in their confusion? Sleepy A person might be an obvious girl from head to toe, with the only exception on her body being a small difference at the crotch... a person might be an obvious man from head to toe, with the only exception on his body being a small difference at the crotch: why does this tiny difference outweigh the form/clothing/facial/personality differences between these two people? That's positively Freudian XD

Why would there be any problems with men 'following' women into bathrooms if rape or assault is not the issue? That's why you keep seeing it... because I (and I don't seem to be alone, here) don't understand what the issue is if it is not one of this, especially given that your earlier concern was one of 'safety' and 'harm'.

Quote:So, a tampon depository and tampon machine have nothing to do with genitals? As someone who has to use those things, I really beg to differ.

Have you ever had a nosebleed? Or bled rectally? As someone with a brother who has used them for his significant nosebleeds, I really beg to differ. As someone who has used them a few times with moderate rectal bleeding (used to be a 'habit' of mine to keep poop inside me for about a week), they work a lot better for me than having to just sit on the toilet an extra hour for it to heal up.

I think that the social expectation of tampons for only going in the vagina is ridiculous, and a major waste of tissue and toilet paper.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colorado parents of transgender 1st-grader file complaint over restroom ban - by Violet - March 4, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2636 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump's ban on Muslims WinterHold 51 6729 March 6, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  1st 100 days? Blue Man 7 1248 February 16, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pence Defends Trump’s Criticism of Judge Who Blocked Travel Ban Foxaèr 3 855 February 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1846 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  This Sick 20-Year-Old Wants Her Parents Prosecuted Manowar 15 1989 April 16, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen GoHalos1993 18 5426 December 31, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Over Here Fox 'News' Would Have A Shit Fit Over This Minimalist 14 2238 December 8, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Kim Jung Un to US: Ban The Interview or else attack! Creed of Heresy 27 6581 June 27, 2014 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state. guestatheist14 6 2359 February 2, 2014 at 3:03 am
Last Post: guestatheist14