Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2026, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
#58
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
Unfortunately...even granting this your second example about appreciating your parents still doesn't qualify.

You (a belief in identity) believe that treating your parents a particular way (belief in morality) because you value them (belief in value) is the right thing to do (belief in morality, again). That's actually quite elaborate. Not properly basic at all.

(cogito for example, has been criticised as "I think, therefore I am" - "i am" being dependent upon "I think". If one wanted to be a stickler its very difficult to identify something thats properly basic - which is why the position of anti-foundationalism exists)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism. - by The Grand Nudger - March 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Argument Against Determinism Disagreeable 32 6227 March 13, 2026 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  The Kalam Cosmological Argument Disagreeable 123 32775 December 15, 2024 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The classic ontological argument Modern Atheism 20 5347 October 3, 2024 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The modal ontological argument for God Disagreeable 29 7992 August 10, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: MetisX
  The argument from degree LinuxGal 9 2857 January 1, 2023 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 5692 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 7152 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: awty
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 8039 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 8983 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 13136 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)