Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 9:02 am

Poll: Which one is the best operating system for you?
This poll is closed.
Windows Vista
0%
0 0%
Chrome OS
0%
0 0%
OS X Mountain Lion
21.43%
6 21.43%
Windows 7
46.43%
13 46.43%
Linux Ubuntu
3.57%
1 3.57%
Windows XP
7.14%
2 7.14%
Linux Mint
10.71%
3 10.71%
Other
10.71%
3 10.71%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...)
RE: OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...)
(April 30, 2013 at 2:01 pm)Love Wrote: I strongly dislike Apple because of its extremely disingenuous marketing techniques. For example, the outrageously overpriced MacBook Pro is, in essence, just a very powerful laptop. I feel that Apple have tricked consumers with the Mac OS operating system. Instead of allowing consumers to buy a laptop with exactly the same specification as a MacBook Pro for half the price (and manually install Mac OS), they have very cunningly developed Mac OS so that it searches for the "Trusted Platform Module" in Apple machines. At least Microsoft have not implemented such evil restrictions with Windows.
A lot of factual inaccuracies there:

1) The MacBook Pro is highly priced, but I wouldn't call it overpriced. You get what you pay for: a durable, beautiful, powerful machine that works very well with the Mac OS X operating system precisely because the OS is designed for the hardware (rather than other operating systems, which have to work with multiple different combinations of hardware).

2) How are people tricked with the Mac OS operating system? Apple doesn't sell the operating system on its own; it sells it as an upgrade for a current Apple product. It also doesn't advertise or advise ways to get it working on other machines; so how exactly are they being disingenuous?

3) On the matter of getting it to install on other machines, it can be done.

4) Also, I have no idea where you got the information about the TPM, because it's utterly wrong. Besides, all Apple devices since 2009 have not included a TPM.

5) Microsoft have not implemented any "restrictions" on Windows because they are selling an Operating System, not an OS/Computer combo. Apple make the vast majority of their money from hardware, not software (upgrades to the next version of OS X cost around $20). Comparing their business models is like comparing apples to oranges.

Look, there are plenty of reasons to dislike some of the stuff Apple does; they don't have a philanthropic program (at least, they didn't under Steve Jobs...I have no idea if they have one now), and they don't allow adult themed apps into the App Store, plus they don't have a very good history of protecting user privacy.

My point is, their hardware and software are pretty damn good. By all means attack Apple for their ethics, but leave their products out of it unless there are actual legitimate reasons for hating them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...) - by Tiberius - April 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows Crazy Shit Fireball 17 532 May 25, 2024 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding.
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 1744 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Linux in ten years wish list. highdimensionman 2 366 February 23, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 755 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 383 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2389 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2627 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 558 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 943 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2409 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet